MP Expenses - When will it all end?.

spuds 17:54 03 Apr 14
Answered

Yet again, further stories are appearing from the cracks in the wall, regarding the MP's expenses saga. And perhaps yet again should the public show some concern, what is still being unearthed?.

click here

spuds 18:03 03 Apr 14

There appears to be something wrong with the link.

The story that appeared today, was about David Cameron dismissing calls for Maria Miller to be sacked after MP's dramatically watered down an independent probe's criticism on her expenses.

Aitchbee 18:22 03 Apr 14

This link has the story.

click here

bumpkin 18:49 03 Apr 14

MP Expenses - When will it all end?. It won't, just be brushed under the carpet again.

Nontek 22:56 03 Apr 14

As per bumpkin

As long as there are MPs/MEPs never!

Forum Editor 23:24 03 Apr 14

There appears to be something wrong with the link.

No there isn't, the link works perfectly.

"And perhaps yet again should the public show some concern, what is still being unearthed?."

This is a non-story, and has a whiff of vendetta about it. The cross-party Standards Committee has ruled on it, and David Cameron has endorsed Maria Miller's value to the government on the record.

rdave13 00:44 04 Apr 14

This is a non-story, and has a whiff of vendetta about it..

Wonder why? If I was so forgetful to pay my taxes I'd also get away with it.

I'm always forgetful.

Wouldn't I?

spuds 02:20 04 Apr 14
Answer

Forum Editor

Thank you for telling me the link works in your usual rather abrupt forceful manner, because I have just tried the link again, and Google Chrome the browser I am using, clearly provides me with the message "Ooops! Google Chrome could not find .www.talktalk.co.uk. So on that basis the link doesn't work for me or Google Chrome. I haven't bothered to try it on any other browser, because Google Chrome is the one I prefer to use on this website. perhaps someone else could clarify if the link is working for then using Google Chrome?.

You also state "This is a non-story" yet its made the news and would seem to have attracted some attention from certain individuals, including MP's. Vendetta it might be, but that's what politics is all about, especially if it makes a story that the public (tax payer) might be interested in?.

What did you expect David Cameron to do in public, other than to state what a great job one and the rest of his team are doing.

I wonder how many other non-stories are out there. I suppose the public will only find out when the investigations are complete and reported?.

Forum Editor 08:08 04 Apr 14

"Thank you for telling me the link works in your usual rather abrupt forceful manner, because I have just tried the link again, and Google Chrome the browser I am using, clearly provides me with the message "Ooops! Google Chrome could not find .www.talktalk.co.uk. So on that basis the link doesn't work for me or Google Chrome."

I'm not sure what is abrupt about 'no it isn't, the link works perfectly' perhaps you're being unnecessarily sensitive. In any event, I have tried it in Google Chrome, and for me it works perfectly.

"Vendetta it might be, but that's what politics is all about"

If that's what you think politics is about I suggest you study the subject in a little more depth.

spider9 08:13 04 Apr 14

"The cross-party Standards Committee has ruled on it, "

Yes, always interesting when a group of her own peers decides on guilt and punishment, and feel a 30 second apology is all that is needed. Wasn't she vehemently opposed to the Press regulating themselves?

Having, seemingly, scammed about £45k of our money, she is asked to repay only £5.8k by her comrades (bad whiff there, also, I suggest) - not a bad outcome, for her, I reckon!! But it's only public money - so it's a non-story.

"..and David Cameron has endorsed Maria Miller's value to the government on the record."

She may well be good at her job, but so are a lot of people who commit various mis-deeds, but it can hardly be used as an endorsement - can it?? What about morality?

Forum Editor 08:33 04 Apr 14

spider9

I agree completely that morality is an important factor where elected politicians are concerned. In this case I haven't seen the full report of the investigation, so I'm not qualified to talk about the morality of the case.

".....always interesting when a group of her own peers decides on guilt and punishment,"

Let's be clear about this - the cross party Standards Committee does not consist entirely of 'her own peers'. The committee includes people who have never been members of parliament. One is an ex policy director of the consumer group 'Which', and an ex board member of the Consumer Council for Water, amongst other things. Another committee member is an ex president of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, and an ex president of a parish council. Yet another is one of the Charity Commissioners for Northern Ireland and was a director of the Northern Ireland big lottery fund.

All of these people have held numerous other posts in both the voluntary and commercial sectors. They make decisions on parliamentary standards based on their substantial experience, and on the evidence which is presented to them.

Based on what we know, rather than on what you are guessing, your remark that Maria Miller has "seemingly, scammed about £45k of our money" is a wildly sweeping statement, and as far as the committee is concerned it is without foundation. You don't know what they know, and neither do I, so it might be an idea to base your comments on fact, rather than on prejudice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…