Motion Sickness in Games

Praxis99 16:59 05 Dec 04

I thought this was rubbish until recently playing HL2 where certain sections made me feel decidedly ill and again today I managed about 10-15 mins of Far Cry before starting to feel very off colour again.

It will certainly make me think twice before buying games like these or a least one's where it doesn't allow you to switch from first to third person since I am sure its the first person action that causing the problem.

Nevertheless should make me more productive in other areas unless I find another genre of games to waste my free time on!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:05 05 Dec 04

This is the most bonkers thread of the year. There is a whole world outside.......

G

Mr Mistoffelees 17:14 05 Dec 04

Well you learn something new everyday.

Still several months until April!

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:23 05 Dec 04

3 years in the Army should sort Praxis99 out and any other 'delicate' people.

G

Dorsai 17:30 05 Dec 04

I would have thought that screen flicker caused by a low refresh rate, when the game overloads the PC, more likely.

Screen flicker makes me puke, but i just up the refresh rate, or lower the settings to get rid of.

If it makes you ill, simple solution -> dont do it.

Valvegrid 17:33 05 Dec 04

Doctor it hurts when I do this, well don't do it then!

Praxis99 17:55 05 Dec 04

Oh dear, it seems theres no tea and sympathy then!!

I was trying ascertain if other people had experienced thi.

Incidentally Gandalf I am military trained so I've run round with a few real guns as well as virtual ones!

Dan the Confused 18:20 05 Dec 04

My brother suffers from it. We both bought PCs at about the same time and I purchased a game called 'Unreal', it was so fab I immediately recommended it to him. As much as he liked it, it did cause him to start feeling nauseous after a while and I think 1st person games still effect him in a similar manner. It's no laughing matter (although I can't help the occasional jibe at him about it).

Funnily enough, when we were kids I suffered from car sickness whereas he didn't. Whenever I was driven anywhere it would be vomit here, vomit there - the stench was terrible!

Valvegrid 18:23 05 Dec 04

I am being a bit factious, sorry, the only time I've experienced something like that is in one of those simulators were they project the image on a screen and the simulator moves. Never had a problem otherwise.

Have you experienced any problems normally using the computer? It may be worth getting an eye test just to eliminate any probs in that direction.

Valvegrid 18:26 05 Dec 04

factious = facetious

Praxis99 19:00 05 Dec 04

My problem is only linked to those two games. I I use a tft with a 16ms response time so flicker effects are not an issue.

I've done a little research and the problem is more common than you would think, even people who you would imagine have a high tolerance for such things such as fast jet pilots can suffer it when using simulators (albeit of a much more immersive variety)and with respect to both HL2 and Far Cry a quick Google in this area throws up (sic) similar experiences to my own.

For what its worth I have come across a few times advice to alter the field of vision (FOV) where the game allows it, setting it to 90 degrees should apparently make the problem go away.

As for myself my primary interest in both these games was to have a look at the state of the art graphics and having satisfied my curiosity in that regard I'll be letting then lie!

Thanks for your responses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…