MOT Question

hereford456 10:49 21 Aug 07

My Mothers car is 3 years old in October 2007.
Can she get it serviced now & have an MOT done on the car even though the car is under 3 years old?

Thanks.
Hereford456

Clapton is God 10:55 21 Aug 07

Yes, she can - but make sure that the MOT certificate runs to October 2008

TopCat® 10:55 21 Aug 07

She can go for MOT up to one month from due date. The extra month, or days, will be added on to the expiry date. TC.

TopCat® 11:03 21 Aug 07

She will need to take the registration document with her as it's the first MOT. click here

"An MOT can be carried out at any time
If the vehicle is tested within the calendar month prior to when the MOT is due, the test certificate will run from the date of the test to one year after the expiry date of the current certificate. For example, if the current certificate was due to expire on 1 April 2007, and the vehicle was presented on or after 2 March 2007, the certificate would run from the test date until 1 April 2008...."

The same rule would also apply when the vehicle is taken in within a calendar month of its first MOT. In this case, the vehicle owner would need to present their registration document.

If the vehicle is tested earlier than one month before its due date, the MOT will only run for twelve months.

Stuartli 11:03 21 Aug 07

But make sure that you request/point out that the expiry date is up to 13 months ahead, otherwise you will only get 12 months from the day of the test...:-)

hereford456 11:12 21 Aug 07

Thanks everyone for the replies so quickly.

Colin 20:59 21 Aug 07

TopCat® "She will need to take the registration document with her as it's the first MOT."

I can't see where this is mentioned on your link. Is this the case because I've never needed to have the reg. doc. for a first MOT?

TopCat® 21:20 21 Aug 07

See underneath the link on my post to: 'The same rule would also apply when the vehicle is taken in within a calendar month of its first MOT. In this case, the vehicle owner would need to present their registration document.'

I'm not sure if the reg doc is required on the actual date the vehicle is three years old. The above applies if you go for MOT before it's due, as it states.

I believe correspondence is sent from DVLA before the three years are up and this can be used at the MOT station. Then again, I seem to remember the station needed the reg doc, when my car was three, in order to verify the vehicle identification numbers actually related to that car. TC.

Colin 21:52 21 Aug 07

Thanks, TopCat®!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…