MOT

keith-236134 08:38 20 Apr 06

Hi, anybody fallen foul of the new MOT test? Well, good news it goes back to the old system in August.

rmcqua 09:45 20 Apr 06

What new/old system is that?

Mr Mistoffelees 10:27 20 Apr 06

SB23 11:16 20 Apr 06

I have two cars to MOT, please explain.

keith-236134 12:55 20 Apr 06

If your car fails the test and its something like brakes, steering and you take it away to do the work yourself then you have to pay for a re-test. I was speaking to the garage owner, where mine is about to be tested and he had a Metro in 4 times before it passed. Its all on computer now so it looks like they will know if you skip the MOT, either deliberately or just forget, like i did once.....for 6 months...ooops.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:21 20 Apr 06

Wasn't this always the case? Anyhow if you have a tame garage owner like mine, he will check the car first, fix anything that would be an MOT fail and then do the MOT..result=no failures or retests.

G

SB23 13:31 20 Apr 06

The only problem at the moment is the fact that this new system does slow garages down abit, as they can only log on and test one car at a time.

amonra 15:06 20 Apr 06

As Gandalf says, support your local garage owner who is prepared to check your car first, before putting it on the ramp for an official test. most of the "fast/quick service" garages are there simply to make money.

rmcqua 15:12 20 Apr 06

The system has been in use for about a year.
Here are the details of the reasons for it and the benefits.

click here
I'm still not clear about what is supposed to happen in August?

pj123 16:15 20 Apr 06

Just had my car MOTd. Now got one of the new digital MOT certificates. This means I can now re tax my car online. Not a lot of good though as it takes 5 to 10 days to get the tax disk posted to me. I can go to my local post office and get the tax disk immediately. So where is the advantage?

Might be good if I could buy online and download a tax disk which is valid.

Still think we should be like France. They don't have car tax anymore.

Or stick the tax on to the price you pay for petrol. If your car is moving on the road then the car tax is paid. No one can get away with that, can they?

Starfox 16:20 20 Apr 06

For example I rebuild and restore old Land Rovers and I took in a fully restored 1966 series Land Rover for it's test. It failed for having no pedal rubbers on brake and clutch, I explained to the tester that pedal rubbers were not supplied with or made for Land Rovers of that vintage but his attiitude was *rules is rules* so get some!!!

In the end I made an official complaint and much to my surprise the tester was instructed to pass the vehicle, he was'nt very happy about it and I won't be using that testing station again but it just shows how you can get caught out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…