most popular song

dukeboxhero 21:23 09 Nov 06

is this the most played song on tv ? but never gets played on radio click here= seems to show up in adverts, documenterys,blue planet,question of sport,and all sort of appeals

Kate B 21:33 09 Nov 06

Interesting! I used to be a TV critic and I noticed a spate of documentaries using Morcheeba's The Sea - I literally saw a documentary using it three or four times a week, usually as the music to a someone walking along a moody beach.

Moby built his reputation this way, though - he made a conscious decision, apparently, to license his music for television, with the result that tracks such as Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad became incredibly familiar, people sought it out and the result was people buying the album.

Bob The Nob© 22:10 09 Nov 06

Its a 5star tune! shame I've never heard it on the radio

wolfie3000 23:54 09 Nov 06

This should be the most popular song as it rocks and im listening to it now :)

click here

Forum Editor 00:31 10 Nov 06

through being adopted by TV production companies. A classic example is Pachabel's Canon - at one time you couldn't watch a documentary which involved human conflict without it cropping up.

Purists decry such exposure, but I think it's a great way of letting millions of people appreciate music which they might not otherwise have heard.

GroupFC 09:12 10 Nov 06

You must be joking!

Mr Mistoffelees 10:48 10 Nov 06

Not bad, but I prefer Iron Maiden. click here

anskyber 11:02 10 Nov 06

It's so similar to the intro music of the BBCs latest superb "Planet Earth"

I love music of all kinds and the World Cup did opera no end of good, it's great.

anskyber 11:12 10 Nov 06
  anchor 12:54 10 Nov 06

I agree with you 100%; anything that will expose a mass audience to appreciate music that has stood the test of time is to be applauded.

Perhaps you heard Handel`s "Zadok the Priest" quite recently when it was used in an ad: for a cruise line.

Here is a reminder of the music: (you may recall it was the coronation anthem for George II).

click here

IClaudio 13:36 10 Nov 06

Grrr... you've just wasted an hour of my time, checking the videos on YouTube (what a great resource,by the way!)

There are many videos here of some great (and a few not so great!) tenors singing this most populist of arias. Although I've listened to this at least once a week for 40 years since I first heard it, I can't help blubbing during the last few bars. It's the ultimate heroic gesture for any tenor, all of them enjoying that great top C at the end on 'Vincero!'. And the orchestra, too, are at their absolute limit, especially the horns. No wonder it's popular!

Most of the tenors in these videos rise gloriously to the occasion, particularly Pavarotti, he looks like he's running a sub-4 minute mile. Fabulous stuff! But look at Lauri-Volpi: he's singing this on his 80th birthday, and boy, does he go for it, he looks as if he's overdone it at the end and suffers a heart attack! ... he was one of the first to sing the role, and he's a great throwback to the voices of 19th century opera.

For me, I think Bjorling is the greatest singer of 'Nessun Dorma' - his was the recording that first introduced me to this all those years ago, though I think it was a later recording than the one on YouTube, and possibly not as good. His top C goes on for so long that I thought the record had stuck! del Monaco's voice is beautiful, more of a block of gold against Pavarotti's bar of silver, and Domingo's 'quando la luce splenderà!' is in a different league to all the others, but then he was always the best actor of any of the heroic tenors (Pavarotti makes no attempt whatsoever to act...)

I don't know what Janicello is up to, it's awful, and he really takes a liberty with the final note, surely electronically enhanced?

See, I've wasted another half an hour posting this!

Incidentally, but more in the spirit of this thread, I'd like to know how many of those football fans were actually turned on to opera after hearing 'Nessun dorma', or Tv viewers turned on to Handel's Coronation Anthems? Any more than Wolfie can persuade me to listen to any more of Grip... 10 seconds was enough, thanks ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…