most human computer

flu 22:13 21 Sep 04

'The A.L.I.C.E. Silver Edition won the prestigious Loebner Prize for most human computer in the annual real-world Turing Test held this year on September 19 in New York City.'

Try chatting to ALICE.
click here

Forum Editor 07:41 22 Sep 04

$99 dollars a year for the chance to see an avatar talking isn't my idea of a bargain.

Old Shep 08:53 22 Sep 04

If anyone 'talks' to that for more than 5 seconds they have a serious problem.

flu 09:16 22 Sep 04

was actually talking about the free chat. of course won't pay any money to chat to it. it's just an interest in AI and how far it has advanced.

Arv 11:23 22 Sep 04

Its like talking to a finacial adviser:)

Talented Monkey 15:14 22 Sep 04

I have been interested in AI for many a year now, and to be honest this is not very good. if you get a better version of the AI when you pay, who knows, but this alice seems to not have progressed much from what was happening a few years ago.

Not impressed at all. If you ask the right questions and in the correct form you cna have a good chat, but its way off fooling someone as being human. Heres my little chat.. Far from good.

Human: are you a republican
ALICE: No I am a Libertarian.
Human: what is a libertarian
ALICE: The Libertarian party supports smaller government, lower taxes, and an end to the war on drugs.
Human: what else
ALICE: That's all.
Human: what about terrorism
ALICE: terrorism? I haven't heard enough about it to have an opinion.
Human: what is the libertarian policy on Iraq
ALICE: I don't know anything about it.
Human: you don’t know a lot do you?
ALICE: Yeah I do a lot of NOT KNOW much. Would you like to know? Try saying that with more or less context.
Human: Are aliens visiting this planet
ALICE: I really couldn't say for sure.
Human: have you seen a UFO
ALICE: No I have not seen it. What's it like?

Dorsai 18:09 22 Sep 04

Human: greeting

ALICE: do you feel more body sensations than emotions?

Human: yes

ALICE: Have you ever been arrested or in jail?

Human: no

ALICE: Are you serious?

Human: yes

ALICE: I can't believe it.

Human: why?

ALICE: Because Dr. Richard S. Wallace programmed me for it.

So how could it fool anyone, when it then admits to being a computer program?

Forum Editor 18:46 22 Sep 04

that no matter what some people might say we still are light-years away from developing a computer that could rival even a five-year old child in terms of intelligence.

programing a machine to answer questions using complex algorithms is one thing - getting it to make subjective responses using anything approaching a thought process is entirely a different kettle of fish, and what's the point anyway? If I want a conversation I'll have it with another human being, and if I want to manipulate a digital image I'll do it with a computer program.

A.L.I.C.E. might be a fine example of computer programing, and make a fascinating plaything but that's about all.

Gaz 25 21:56 22 Sep 04

click here

Ah well... keeps the kids silent for a while.

Dan the Confused 06:08 23 Sep 04

Human: u like music?
ALICE: Yes I like it, especially Opera.
Human: whats ur fave?
ALICE: Are you asking about my fave?
Human: fave opera
ALICE: That remark was either too complex or too simple for me. We were talking about Your home town.
Human: doh!
ALICE: Yes Homer?

Valvegrid 06:56 23 Sep 04

Well at least you've established her hair colour :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…