More Problems for Gordon

laurie53 09:09 25 Jul 08

I point out at the outset that this is not partisan politics, but can El Gordo survive the Glasgow defeat?

By-elections no more make and break Prime Ministers than they do Governments, and mid term "protests" are normal, but coming on top of all the other glitches his future as leader must be now be under question.

What is remarkable is the high turn out in the middle of the Glasgow Fairs Week. 42% may not sound very high, but it's only 6% less than the General Election, which is very unusual.

spuds 09:27 25 Jul 08

Politics can be a very funny thing, especially when the electorate are not obliged to vote. The poor turnouts on every election seems to confirm that the public have given up hope in the long term.

When the politicians (of whatever party) begin to actually listen and act on the general publics concerns, then elections and genuine results, might prove worthwhile.

Basically, I think most people have just given up, in trying to make things far better. If you complain or air your views from the wings, then you are labelled, as just an irritating moaner

tigertop2 13:50 25 Jul 08

The Glasgow vote was a protest vote. It could have happened in any constituency in the UK because this goverment is so deeply unpopular. It was not an endorsement of Scottish nationalism but it was a reminder that no politician can rely on past majorities and you ignore public disillusionment at your peril. There will be a lot of Labour MPs busy phoning a friend this w/e to try to get Brown and his cronies out. It hardly matters who comes in! Anyone but Gordon!

VNAM75 14:18 25 Jul 08

The SNP leader is calling for Brown to either change his policies or his job. Brown being his stubborn self, has refused calls for a snap election.

Contrast this to when he got his aides and PR people to leak rumours of an iminent election back in november.

jakimo 15:11 25 Jul 08

Not being elected is hardly the democratic way of getting the job of PM in the first place,many saw that move as no more than his personnel reward from Blair for looking after the economy so successfully (or so it seemed at the time), rather than his suitability for the job.

He had his chance of having an election, probably with a smaller majority but let that opportunity pass,he would however have been seen as the legitimate PM, and would have more public support that he does now.The media would certainly not have been so intent on bringing him down,and would probably have blamed others for the mishaps\blunders ,but now he must go even if its just for his "will I won`t I" indecisions

Forum Editor 16:06 25 Jul 08

Please name one British Prime Minister who was elected to the job.

People may be elected to lead political parties, and they may be elected to become members of parliament, but nobody is elected to the office of Prime Minister.

pj123 16:24 25 Jul 08

Whether Gordon survives or not I can't see another alternative to vote for.

As spuds says: "Politics can be a very funny thing, especially when the electorate are not obliged to vote"

So, should we do like Australia and make voting compulsory? What do you think?

sunny staines 16:38 25 Jul 08

pj123

i would say no, as a lot of people have no idea or even the slightest clue about politics and only vote for the party because its the one their parents always voted for.

in the same category of intelligence is the chavs,and other problem family types who only vote because they like their face big brother style.

leave voting only to those that are interested and understand it. years ago ago it was only house owners that could vote perhaps going back a bit might help.

ened 17:42 25 Jul 08

That is a little pedantic.

There is no doubt that in a General Election the public will vote for the personality of the Leader as much (or more so) as the manifesto (Look at Foot and Kinnock).

In the last election the people voted for Tony Blair and not Brown.

Indeed, in my opinion, there is a good chance that with Brown leader they may not have won the 97 election.

It was Blair's charisma and personality which made Labour electable and conned the country.

Forum Editor 18:40 25 Jul 08

"In the last election the people voted for Tony Blair and not Brown."

Really?

There was me thinking they voted for their MPs.

ened 18:47 25 Jul 08

You know what I mean!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…