MORE data LOST

charmingman 21:41 23 Jun 08

i dont think the goverment is taking this as serious as they should be, how many times in the last 2 months have we seen this...???

Answer:

TOO MANY

click here

Forum Editor 22:47 23 Jun 08

it's the courier making a mistake and losing a package. The data involved isn't particularly sensitive, and is fully encrypted. I don't think this is something we should get too excited about, there'll never be a time when every single data record is 100% protected against human error, no matter how hard we try.

WhiteTruckMan 23:16 23 Jun 08

just what they define 'fully encrypted' as meaning. It may turn out to be something more than slightly different to what we would expect it to mean.

Also, it would be pretty stupid to have a password to unlock it that was 'qwerty' or '123456'.

WTM

Blackhat 23:21 23 Jun 08

‘everyday occurrence’ totally agree with you there. I ship flat packed conservatory roofs around the UK and on 3 occasions this year I have had items go missing only to turn up weeks later and on one occasion half a roof for a customer on the Isle of White disappeared never to be seen again and these are big items! Also Mrs. B sells on ebay weekly and looses items in the post at least 5 times a year. Both me & Mrs. B have gained compensation in all cases.

Forum Editor 23:29 23 Jun 08

They'll almost certainly be using an encryption application that uses multiple encryption algorithms, like Cast,Blowfish,AES and tripleDES.

I am Spartacus 23:38 23 Jun 08

At least one Government dept is using this click here

No idea how secure that is though. Hopefully one of the best?

WhiteTruckMan 00:10 24 Jun 08

one would hope so. But bear in mind the titanic was 'almost certainly' unsinkable.

WTM

Stuartli 00:40 24 Jun 08

IIRC, the Titanic was described as "unsinkable" by builders Harland and Wolff and the White Star Line.

A slight difference one would think to "almost certainly"...:-)

DANZIG 22:59 24 Jun 08

We had a new computer system installed at work a few months ago.

We had a bit of a training morning on it and all was well as it is designed for anyone to use.

I asked the question "What do we do when it breaks down?"

The response was "Don't worry about that - it won't."

My response was "The Titanic was unsinkable...."

We received the contact number of the engineer who installed it and a direct line to the American company who makes it.....

..which incidentally we had to use last week when the 'unbreakable' system broke down.

€dstowe 06:29 25 Jun 08

Once again, why is this information being transcribed to a physical medium and transported?

Have the authorities (or whoever is concerned with these faux pas) not heard of the Internet, telephone data transmission or any number of other, possibly secret, means of transferring data from place to place without relying on an optical disk and commercial carrier?

I was told once that my suggested alternative methods are not used because of an inherent "lack of security".

Ha!

WhiteTruckMan 08:24 25 Jun 08

It was a figure of speech to illustrate a point.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos