Moon to be 'bombed'

Seth Haniel 10:05 08 Jul 09

click here

The rocket will crash into the crater at 5,600 mph, creating a new crater - perhaps as large as 5 miles wide. The crash is scheduled to occur Oct. 9.

Scientists on Earth expect the impact to blast out a huge cloud of dust, gas and vaporized water ice at least 6 miles high. The cloud will be clearly visible to astronomers at Earth-bound observatories and the Hubble Space Telescope's new planetary camera, allowing each to observe and collect data on its composition.

nangadef 10:23 08 Jul 09

A nice birthday present for me - hope it's not my last :(

Armchair 11:03 08 Jul 09

Nice bit of expensive vandalism.

justme 11:10 08 Jul 09

Probably due to the fact that the local council will not take a used rocket into their waste disposal site (Trade waste).

Toneman 11:20 08 Jul 09

So you're a Libra too, I always think today is the start of the rest of my life...

Grey Goo 14:07 08 Jul 09

The soupdragon will not be pleased.

Quickbeam 16:05 08 Jul 09

What happened to the idea of preserving remaining natural wilderness areas... Oh the Moon doesn't count.

SB23 16:34 08 Jul 09

I can understand that they're looking for water, and the reason why, but to bomb it, then have whatever is left to crash onto the surface seems unneccessary.
Couldn't they have just sent something like they sent to Mars to test for water, rather than bomb the place?

Quickbeam 16:46 08 Jul 09

will they use a B52...

caccy 16:46 08 Jul 09

To quote an old U.K. expression about the Americans which seems rather apt in the circumstance.

Slam, Bang Thank you Mam. (Especially if there is water there).

egapup 17:22 08 Jul 09

If the yasnks are doing it the rocket could hit anywhere.....stay indoors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…