The money programme

spikeychris 18:26 22 Jun 08

Anyone watch it? I'm that sad I was looking forward to it. click here to see an insight into Bill Gates if you missed it.

Pineman100 18:48 22 Jun 08

Yes, I saw it. A very interesting insight into the man.

For years it's been The-Thing-To-Do to knock Bill Gates, and when you're the world's richest and most successful businessman, you're bound to attract an endless round of people who want to have a pop at you.

And of course, Gates is no angel. But I don't think he's the villain that he's so often made out to be, either. I certainly never understood why giving away an internet browser with his operating system apparently made him the Devil incarnate. Ten thousand businesses have used freebies to attract customers, and they haven't been accused of exploiting their position. Yes, he has wielded enormous business power, but he's done it my having the right product in the right place at the right time.

I've been as guilty as the next man of carping about Gates and his products, but the bottom line is that he has made computers accessible to hundreds of millions of people. What's more, having made billions of dollars in the process, he's now going to give much of it away to worthwhile causes.

As captains of commerce go, I think we could have seen a lot worse.

(Dons tin hat and dives into trench).

beeuuem 18:57 22 Jun 08

I happened to see the last part of it. While there are many opinions on Bill Gates you don't get to create an organisation like Microsoft without talent and drive.
I didn't have an opinion either way but anyone who is prepared to use their billions for the benefit of others can't be all bad.

Forum Editor 19:09 22 Jun 08

change the course of history with his money, and he knows it. He has the power to improve the lives of millions of people, and he's obviously decided to do just that.

The world might be a better place with a few more people like this, and regardless of your feelings about Microsoft's business methods you would have to be a pretty insensitive human being if you didn't recognise genuine altruism when you saw it.

The anti-Microsoft brigade will no doubt find something cynical to say, but Bill is used to that - he's been dealing with it for years, and I doubt that he loses a wink of sleep worrying about it.

day2strike 19:11 22 Jun 08

It was a good insight into him, but the questions were not that hard hitting and a lot of archive material was used.
But on the whole an interesting programme.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5