Modern comforts we take for granted?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:39 01 Feb 09

Woke up this morning to severe weather warnings and a central heating boiler that refuses to light :0(

Reminds me of when I was a child, freezing bedrooms and only one fire in the house.

So what modern comforts do you take for granted?

Now where did I put that old tin bath?

oresome 18:07 01 Feb 09

With a house like Fruit Bat /\0/\'s, you wouldn't need the freezer and save twice over!

I do take for granted a warm home, hot water, a fully stocked larder and the ability to jump in the car and go somewhere.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 01 Feb 09

Started decorating yesterday, kept warm today using the steam stripper.

:0)

Forum Editor 18:34 01 Feb 09

Some people might say that central heating is a basic necessity, whereas others who grew up without it might regard it as a luxury. My children have never known what it's like to live without heating, but I did it when I was young, as did millions of others.

A generation of children have grown up with colour TV, telephones right left and centre, fridges stocked with food, shops open around the clock, foreign holidays, generous allowances, piles of expensive Christmas presents, and now mobile phones and computers.

All of these would be regarded by them as a normal part of their life, whilst their grandparents loom on in disbelief at such luxury.

Me? I take it for granted that I can be warm in my own home, but I know I'm lucky compared to previous generations.

newman35 18:43 01 Feb 09

I can also remember scratching words on the bedroom window ice when you got up in the morning - the sad thing is that you never felt the cold!!! Oh to be young.

Luxury - being able to go and fly to the sun in winter for a few weeks. (not literally 'fly to the sun', of course!!).

interzone55 19:57 01 Feb 09

I remember when we used to get ice on the inside of my bedroom windows. In these centrally heated days we don't even get visits from Jack Frost on the outsides...

robgf 20:04 01 Feb 09

I stayed in a seaside chalet for a week over the Xmas break. There was nothing apart from a portable TV and a calor gas heater. But the only thing I really missed was the tumble drier!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:21 01 Feb 09

"In these centrally heated days we don't even get visits from Jack Frost on the outsides..."

Global warming? Not heard that mentioned since the "Economic Downturn" started. Perhaps all the bankers were suffering from sunstroke.

laurie53 20:24 01 Feb 09

Modern comfort which I take for granted?

My wife (though I try not to!).

oresome 20:29 01 Feb 09

Modern comfort? Mine's getting long in the tooth. Although she's some way to go to catch me up.

rawprawn 20:42 01 Feb 09

For those with time to read my diatribe, read on.

Déjà vu? For those among you who are fortunate enough not to suffer from long/short term memory loss, you may remember that last May our central heating boiler gave up the ghost and after 6 weeks of living in the same Arctic conditions endured by Shackleton and his stalwart crew, we fitted at great cost a brand new, all singing, all dancing, condensing boiler.
Well last week on the coldest day of the year, it stopped singing, dancing, and even condensing.
It simply sat sullenly in our hall cupboard sulking. On my wife’s instructions to “Do something” I approached it with great stealth and gave it a gentle tap with a spanner in the vain hope that it would awake from its slumbers and burst into life. Nothing! After two more progressively harder “taps” the last of which sent reverberations around the household pipe work akin to a demented banshee, I gave up and resorted to the book of instructions which seemed to me not to bear even a passing resemblance to the monstrous piece of scrap metal with pipe work designed by Heath Robinson insolently staring at me from within the dark recess of our hall cupboard.
Eventually I dialed the helpline promising total customer care and 24/7 service, I was then treated to twenty minutes of a delightful rendition of Vivaldi’s Spring from the Four Seasons played on the sitar, this was from time to time interrupted by a lady with a charming voice assuring me that my call was important, and to continue to hold thereby affording me more time to enjoy the recital.
At last a girl with a strong Indian accent who said her name was Doris asked how she could help, when asked what she knew about central heating boilers she reluctantly admitted that since there wasn’t much call for central heating in Jaiphur her knowledge was limited, and with beads of sweat running off her headphones because their air conditioning unit was on the blink didn’t feel an overwhelming wave of sympathy for an unknown whingeing old man in Cullingworth.
However she eventually agreed to send a plumber who would she said pleased with herself, be with us on Sunday morning. When I pointed out that I didn’t think it should take three days to fly a plumber out from Jaiphur, the strangled gurgling sound she made led me to believe that our conversation was at an end.
We eventually got the plumber who fitted the infernal machine to come and replace the faulty gubbins, which he did in good humour while whistling a merry tune. After which I spent another twenty minutes listening to a delightful rendition of a Mozart symphony played on sitar while waiting to cancel the Jaiphur plumber, desperately hoping that he had not already boarded Air India flight 6243 to Cullingworth which would no doubt trigger a call out fee.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…