MoD gets golden 'cock-up' award

TopCat® 10:59 04 Jun 08

Quote: 'Commons public accounts committee chairman Edward Leigh said the Chinooks had been "languishing" while troops in Afghanistan needed aircraft...' click here

Ordered in 1995 and delivered in 2001, these aircraft have not yet seen service and costs have soared. These inept department officials responsible for this huge delay are, in my opinion, a lamentable disgrace. Just how they've got away with for so long makes me quite sick! TC.

Cymro. 11:25 04 Jun 08

Such cock-ups as you call them have always been much too common over the years. What has always bothered me is why is it that the people responsible never seem to be named and shamed let alone sacked.

If anything of the sort happened in any other industry heads would roll. If some poor bod at the bottom of the pyramid misplaced as much as a packet of paper-clips he would be in for the high jump.

It seems that the higher up in the order of things you are the safer you are from being sacked for mismanagement. I wonder if it is anything to do with who you know or what school you went to. The old school tie thing.

Quickbeam 12:17 04 Jun 08

There's a fine old MOD tradition of 'cock-ups'... Why stop now?

Jim Thing 16:47 04 Jun 08

According to the BBC, the Defence Equipment Minister said that "...the reversion of the new Chinooks [from Mk 3 to Mk 2/2A] was one of several steps the MoD was taking to increase helicopter numbers in Afghanistan." She also said "...the reversion project will allow delivery of more Chinooks to theatre in the shortest time-frame."

In other words "it's all being done for the very best of reasons in accordance with government policy."

How pathetic can you get?

laurie53 20:03 04 Jun 08

The reason the people responsible are never shamed and named is the MoD policy of moving everybody on every 2 1/2 to three years.

You may take over a department that is the best at its job in the world, but if you're to get promoted you can't just sit back and carry on running it, you need to get noticed.

That means you have to change something. What better than to dream up some grandiose scheme, totally changing what your predecessor has done? Your superiors won't be able to see what rubbish it is as they, too, have only been in post less than three years.

By the time your total incompetence becomes clear you will have moved on, probably at least twice, and will have been promoted into the bargain.

I know, I've been there, and done it.

DrScott 20:07 04 Jun 08

I spot a similar pattern in NHS management - the chief execs get moved to a different hospital if they bodge one up.

The lack of any accountability in today's modern culture is really quite disturbing.

As you say TC, a disgrace.

Jim Thing 20:38 04 Jun 08

I reckon the same principle holds good for cabinet ministers:

Prime Minister: "You've made a right pig's ear of [name a ministry]. Go and see if you can do any better with [name another]."

peter99co 20:47 04 Jun 08

So that is why Prescott,Darling and the others have to play musical chairs is it?

Jim Thing 20:53 04 Jun 08

Got it in one!

peter99co 21:14 04 Jun 08

When they first taught me at school about square pegs in round holes I thought they were talking about woodwork not woodentops.

jakimo 23:16 04 Jun 08

The importance of the army getting hold of these helicopters cant be emphasised enough,

I wonder how many troops would still be alive today if they could have been transported by Chinook to the place of conflict,instead of travelling across country by road and getting blown up by a land mine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…