Mobile Telephone Reviews

STREETWORK 21:16 15 Aug 11

I read the first paragraph of the review for the LG Optimus and lost the will to live, can anyone translate this below please...

'The LG Optimus Black P970 is an Android 2.2.2 (Froyo) smartphone with a custom skinned UI. It is powered by a 1GHz processor and a PowerVR SGX530 GPU and has 512MB of RAM along with 2GB of internal memory expandable up to 32GB through microSD.'

morddwyd 21:24 15 Aug 11

All you need to know is that it has an out-of-date operating system!

Covergirl 01:42 16 Aug 11

'The LG Optimus Black P970 is an Android 2.2.2 (Froyo) smartphone with a custom skinned UI. It is powered by a 1GHz processor and a PowerVR SGX530 GPU and has 512MB of RAM along with 2GB of internal memory expandable up to 32GB through microSD.'

STREETWORK. It is quite obvious you are not "up on" smartphone technology.

My suggestion is to read more mobile phone reviews and read up on some of the key words highlighted above.

Once you're more familiar with the subject, you'll start to get the hang of it.

simonjary 06:32 16 Aug 11

Streetwork.

You're right - that is a rather over-technical start to a mobile phone review!

We'll take a look at simplifying it.

There's a slightly less scary review here of the same basic phone.

Also our Mobile Phone Buying Advice page should help.

Thanks for the feedback.

Covergirl 07:57 16 Aug 11

Aye, it might be a bit technical, but it's got all the information in one place which saves the savvy bloke having to locate the key points elsewhere in the article :)

wiz-king 08:03 16 Aug 11

But it is suposed to be a review - so what does it do (or not do)? If it does what I want I dont care whats inside the case. grin

Covergirl 08:19 16 Aug 11

wiz-king - it might do everything you want it to do, but frustratingly slowly.

Knowing what's inside the case is half the fun and sometimes essential. I know I'm on Android 1.6 so I won't be trying to install things (that I would like to have) that only work on 2.2 or above.

But then again, ignorance is bliss. laughing smiley

interzone55 09:53 16 Aug 11

Let's break it down

The LG Optimus Black P970 this is the model number Optimus is the LG smartphone brand, Black is the version, P970 is the LG internal part number

Android 2.2.2 (Froyo) this is the operating system, Google use various sweet things as code names. froyo is short for Frozen Yoghurt, the latest version is 2.3.3 Gingerbread. 2.3.3 adds multitouch to the interface, so is a useful upgrade

with a custom skinned UI this is when the manufacturer adds a new interface, HTC have a very nice Sense interface, LG isn't quite as pretty. The added Graphical User Interface requires extra processor power

It is powered by a 1GHz processor and a PowerVR SGX530 GPU the 1Ghz CPU is pretty standard, although many of the very latest phones have a 1.2ghz dual core CPU, the SGX530 is like a PC graphics card and runs the display

and has 512MB of RAM along with 2GB of internal memory expandable up to 32GB through microSD fairly obvious this 512mb of RAM for current applications, 2gb of flash storage for music, downloaded applications, contacts etc & a MicroSD card slot capable of accepting cards up to 32gb capacity

in the words of Holly Harper "Hope that helps"

wiz-king 09:57 16 Aug 11

alan14 But does it make phone calls?

Covergirl 11:48 16 Aug 11

wiz-king

No mention of it being able to make phone calls in either the review or the "expert verdict".

However, it is referred to several times as a "phone" or "smartphone" so perhaps it does have the ability to make calls, although this would only be a very small part of the overall functionality, therefore probably not worth mentioning. It's obviously much sexier talking about all the other things it can do.

interzone55 12:23 16 Aug 11

wiz-king

"The LG Optimus Black P970 is an Android 2.2.2 (Froyo) smartphone"

The phone bit of the word "smartphone" is a clue that the device does indeed make phone calls.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…