Mobile ring tones

silverous 17:12 04 Jul 06

Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy but there seems to be an ever increasing number of people who have sampled their favourite music (too often a loud 'dance tune' - which I have nothing against in the right environment) and used it as a ring tone.

The same people then allow it to ring for about 10 seconds on what must be full volume before answering it.

Usually on the train.

This is just anti-social in my view particularly in a confined space like a train... it certainly makes me jump while trying to relax on the way home!

Anyone else aggravated by this trend?

SG Atlantis® 17:23 04 Jul 06

nope, only time it irritates me is in places where the should be switched off. Like cinema or hospitals, one guy freaked me out on a plane trying to use his phone (I'm not a keen flyer as it is) I soon put it right ;).

Not a bus or a train or whatever.

SG Atlantis® 17:25 04 Jul 06

Having said that, I change my tone that often I usually forget what it is and don't answer, so just hope you aren't near me on public transport.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:48 04 Jul 06

I agree there should be 9 quiet coaches and one for all the people who cannot do without their mobile.

some pet hates on the train journey home:

phones ringing every two minutes.
the loud voice phone user (heard all over the coach).
loud tinny music from someone's mp3 earphones.
the "texters" that haven't disabled the key tones.

silverous 19:10 04 Jul 06

Sounds like I'm with you on this.

To add to the list:

- People openly watching DVDs on laptops but using the speakers turned up! (yes, only a few times but it does happen)

(same for portable dvds)

- People being ill after having consumed too much alcohol (usually around christmas but not always)

ade.h 19:22 04 Jul 06

Yep, absolutely annoying. Indicative of many people's laissez faire (sic?) attitude to inflicting their noise on others.

TonyV 20:24 07 Jul 06

I agree with you. It is as if people cannot bear to be without a phone either super glued to their ear or blasting out some ludicrous ring tone in readiness for it to be super glued to their ear!

We bought a pair of new phones the other day to replace the pair we had. They were cheap little clam shell things that are used solely for emergencies and the occasional call, but the ring tones on them are so awful as to be untrue. All I want is a ring-ring system but apparently it cannot be done. So we have picked the nearest one to it which is far from satisfactory.

But there is nothing more annoying than sitting in a pleasant little coffee shop enjoying a coffee and a read of the morning papers when there is a blast of "William Tell" or some such other silly ring tone and the person then cannot find their phone and it rings for ever!

It seems to me that the corollary of this is the number of people who no longer have offices to work in and grab the tables in public coffee shops in the out of town shopping parks and then open up their computer and ring their HQ and spend hours having a telephone meeting comparing computer notes or dragging someone else in to join in their "coffee meeting". What happened to normal working conditions?

I really do sound like a "grumpy old man".

TonyV

SG Atlantis® 20:51 07 Jul 06

lighten up will ya's, that's the point of a mobile, to talk while you're out!

because you think a mobile is for emergencies only doesn't mean you can dictate how others' use theirs ;) does it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:21 07 Jul 06

No problem. I tend to find that there are more important things in life to think about.

G

Jackcoms 21:25 07 Jul 06

"lighten up will ya's, that's the point of a mobile, to talk while you're out!"

But not so loudly that the rest of the train/bus/world can hear your inanities.

I often go up to these prats and shout loudly, in their other ear, "could you shout a little louder, please. I think that a couple of people in Manchester (the other end of the country) didn't quite hear you"

SG Atlantis® 10:06 08 Jul 06

Try doing that in Northern Ireland and you'd see Ulster hospitality at it's 'best'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…