Mobile phones and driving

Jak_1 20:04 05 Feb 07

When are people going to realise that using a non hands free mobile phone whilst driving can kill people. I had a close call today when a person on a mobile nearly killed me! This person was in the lane to turn left at a crossroad chatting away at a red light. The lights changed, they went straight across the same as me forcing me halfway across the opposite carriageway into the path of oncoming traffic. I had to brake in order to avoid a car and the person on the phone continued on weaving all over the road. In a short space of time I caught up (not having to speed to do so) and was able to overtake. I stopped my car and challenged the person who turned round and said that ‘I should be more careful and be more observant when driving’! I have to add that this person also had a child sat in the rear without a seatbelt on! To say I was angry is an understatement. I know it’s difficult to police but there seems to be no deterrent. Would the threat of loss of licence for a first offence be more effective in combating this?

polish 20:09 05 Feb 07

i see this vitually everyday you cannot drive properly holding a phone and have seen alot of bad driving this is something that needs addressing but it is very rare to see the police especially traffic police

VoG II 20:10 05 Feb 07

I think that cutting off their ears might be more appropriate.

I've been cut up by this sort of lunatic and not just the once.

sean-278262 20:16 05 Feb 07

I think the driving licence is a bit much, however I have noticed myself that people do seem more stuck up about it and I dont blame them. I know how you feel!

Maybe 2 months back to the L plates would work. I know I cant live without the motorway. Half the battle is catching people at it. I await the day when cars can detect where the phone is and make the decision to block it unless it is plonked into a holder on hands free.

However the seatbelt thing alarms me more. Personally I think we need more hard hitting TV adverts showing the damages. More to the lines of hard core footage from real scenes at RTC's (road traffic collisions as we now have to call them). Personally I prefer to get them behind me as soon as is safe and forget about them.

Colin 20:17 05 Feb 07

Using mobiles whilst driving seems to be getting more commonplace. I have regularly seen people in vans from even household name companies being driven by drivers using a hand held mobile. I understand that soon the penalty will not just be £60 but 3 points on their licence as well. However, how can the Police prove that the driver is guilty apart from having photographic evidence?

octal 20:22 05 Feb 07

It's possible they could lose their licence using a combination of any of the following offences:

Driving without due care and attention

Driving without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other road users

Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users

The above attract a maximum of 9 points, if a mobile phone is implicated in any of the above with 3 points it's good bye licence.

p;3 20:22 05 Feb 07

believe you me I share your frustrations;read in the paper today about a section of the M25 on which several(actually about one a minute if not more) motorists were photographed using mobile phones; the photographer could not take the shots quickly enough he saw so many drivers flouting the law

this too makes interesting reading

click here

Jak_1 20:23 05 Feb 07

I have to say it's not the first time for either. I use a mobile phone but have it switched off when I'm driving. What worries me is the victim who ends up being killed because of one these brainless imbeciles. Unfortunately the police can't be everywhere at the same time but I do feel the punishment for getting caught is too low.

surfmonkey #:@}© 21:15 05 Feb 07

I drive for a living and on a daily basis i see many drivers on mobiles while traveling along buisy roads what gets me is the police can sit at the side of the road with a camera to catch speeding drivers and issue fines and penalty points so why do the not do the same with the mobile and driving surely the law is there to be uphelp no matter what the law is.

rodriguez 21:28 05 Feb 07

I'd have taken his numberplate and reported him.

Ho-Lin-Sok 21:49 05 Feb 07

I think Friday rush hour is probably the peak time for this behaviour as weekend arrangements are being discussed. You see taxi drivers and Sainsburys juggernaut delivery drivers and all sorts who should know better. Even saw the local Social Services hospital pickup driver at it the other day, van full of disabled old dears on board as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…