mobile phones are really annoying me now!

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 22:17 08 Nov 04

what is the point in making a mobile phones that have "designed for windows mobile" on a blumin phone?.lets face it phones are only good for one thing phoning poeple!,that is all it should be good for,having GPRS for internet is quite nifty,but now most phones have camera,movie player,mp3,all of it,its a phone for godsake!,not a portable media center,if you like these feutres buy a pocket pc or something,nokia 3310 they are fine,there small,there not "bricks" they can phone and text and that is all you need in a phone,you don't need all this rubbish,do i make any sense?.

VoG II 22:21 08 Nov 04

Yes.

gudgulf 22:31 08 Nov 04

And YES again!

Djohn 23:26 08 Nov 04

Or the one I have 3510i Excellent phone without all the extras has a talk time of 4 hours 30 minutes and standby time of 13 days. click here

Forum Editor 23:26 08 Nov 04

if you were one of the hundreds of thousands of people who are employed in the mobile phone industry.

The many companies who depend on the world's mobile users know that to survive they must constantly strive to stimulate demand, and they know that the way to do it is to re-invent the mobile as often as they can. It works, there are now more mobile phones in the UK than people - with many of us owning more than one phone.

When criticising marketing strategies it's always a good idea to think a little more deeply about what drives them. The companies which make up the mobile industry will only continue to survive and prosper by maintaining active research and development programmes, and whether you like it or not, the mobile phone has completely changed the world forever. There's no going back, and if I'm any judge we have hardly scratched the surface when it comes to finding new ways to enhance the mobile in your pocket.

terryr48 23:29 08 Nov 04

Have to agree with Djohn-I got a 3510i the only phone I could find wit big enough screen for my poor old eyes to see properly

Sethhaniel 10:13 09 Nov 04

I could say the same about computers -you can get the best 'all singing all dancing' computer and find out the next day there's something better on the market - but computers and users have changed
i'm sure the FE can vouch for me when I say "in the old days" of DOS computers - we were happy if we could see our names scroll across the screen and delighted if it could fill the screen with hundreds of our names repeated one after the other by a few simple commands (complicated really at the time) There was a community of DOS users ever helpful and as I remember no 'oneupmanship' - we didn't even dream of what would be available today- but then mass production and ever bigger / better machines and gimicks has spoilt in a way the small community - and it make me smile / cringe with the 'ideal starter computer' being about ten times bigger/ faster than what has amply supplied my needs for the last ten years.. And for you Ben - you've come up with the technology already in place, not knowing that there was a time when people dreamed of such days - let the manufactures play and someday they'll have the 'must have bit of kit' that will keep us all happy and be practible too!!! ;)

josie mayhem 11:58 09 Nov 04

I carry 2 mobiles with me.. Not because I'm sad but one is my works phone and the other is my personal mobile.

Works is very basic, but because my phone is on contract, means that yes it has the gizzmo's, which I normaly don't use, or would have chossen if I was buying a phone.

But I have found the camera on my phone to be helpful, working within the community, at times I've come across an health and saftey issue (within someones home that any one of my team is required to work)And have used my phone to take a picture, so that I can take back to the office, when I've had to get management dission, they then can see what I'm talking about, and action can be taken quicker.

And when it my turn to man the 'on call' phone, then I end up with three phones.

And if all these rumours concerning, radiation are true, I must be well nuked by now!

watchful 12:37 09 Nov 04

Horses for courses I suppose but I for one do not appreciate the way the world has changed. The mobile phone industry, like most others today, only replaces all the other industries we've lost in recent years and panders to some people's desire to have something sleeker and niftier than anyone else. A philosophy I've never subscribed to.

€dstowe 16:08 09 Nov 04

Perhaps as the "phone" part of a mobile phone has become subsidiary to the device as a whole, it may now be time to call these dreadful instruments something different.

It's Me 16:18 09 Nov 04

Agreed. All I want to use my phone for is as a phone. Nothing else. Can I get such a phone . No!

To create work in one place, work is destroyed in another. All in the name of 'progress'.

I could rant on about how our very large carpet manufacturing industry was destroyed practically overnight by a strange desire to have slippy, cold, hard wood flooring, but I won't.

At least they can't modernise a bottle of Malt, at least I hope they can't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…