Mixed messages:

spikeychris 21:48 22 Jan 05

Let’s say you’re sick to death of receiving phone calls at home telling you that you have won a kings ransom. You shove “register to stop phone calls uk” into Google and 553,000 websites appear at your fingertips.

In one of those 553,000 sites there’s a link to a Governmental site click here [the office of fair trading.] You feel happy, it’s a .gov site and it links to click here [The Telephone Preference Service] you check all the right boxes and fill in the request forms.

Now, you are net savvy and you realise that it might be an idea to run a search on “The Telephone Preference Service” as one website is never enough. You are offered 1,780,000 sites and there seems to be a discrepancy click here says different, but check out the dates, it mentions 19/08/96 and it states that companies have to pay up to £300 to be able to read the list of people that have opted out of the service they wanted to supply!! You go back to the .gov linked site and read that “No money is received from the Government to run the Service, the direct marketing industry pays for it.”

Should you believe click here ? It’s up against a big hitter that has been sanctioned by a .gov website? Common sense dictates that the Gov site will stand up on its own and there will always be knockers, there’s always someone saying the opposite but what would happen if you just typed ““The Telephone Preference Service” into Google and the first site you clicked on was click here

A teacher I work with, when teaching the net often says the Internet is like a library hit by a cyclone, the information is there its just hard work finding it. However, finding the info is just the start of the battle.

Nellie2 23:03 22 Jan 05

I use search engines a lot and can spend a lot of time just sifting through the hits and refining my searches.

Having so much choice isn't something that we are used to, which is why we always ask our friends for a recommendation if we are looking for something specific. At least I do.

end 00:28 23 Jan 05

spikey

"A teacher I work with, when teaching the net often says the Internet is like a library hit by a cyclone, the information is there its just hard work finding it. However, finding the info is just the start of the battle. "

just perfect....;beautiful analogy, absolutely beautiful:))

Forum Editor 07:17 23 Jan 05

and there was far less information available than now, a university professor was discussing research methods with me. We were talking about ways in which his department could refine the vast amount of stuff which they trawled up each day - medical research stuff mainly - and he said "I can't see an end to this, if it's like this now, imagine what it will be like in a few years time, when the Internet really gets going."

That was ten years ago, and the Internet really has got going, and as predicted there are literally mountains of information available at the click of a mouse. Just over a year ago I was preparing some statistical information for a client, and at that time Google estimated that they had indexed over 3.5 billion documents. That's a remarkable figure, but even more remarkable is the rate of increase - only a year before that Google's page index was 'only' 500 million.

There's seemingly no end to it, at least not one that we can see, and searching is now a real problem in that we are able to access far too much information, there just isn't the time to sift through the sand for the pearls most of the time. That's where searching techniques, and algorithmic search engines can be so helpful. Spend some time learning about how to search, and you'll be rewarded with more 'live' hits high up in your returns list. How to do that is another four or five thousand words however, and this isn't the place. If you're interested in some delving, take a look at this
click here

jack 15:10 23 Jan 05

Iam sgined to the TPS, and in the 'main' it works,
mainstream firms do sign up- it must save them time/money not to call on unresponsive people.
However- I understand the all the UK's landline numbers are available on a CD.
Not names mind -just lists of numbers.
The 'offshore' 'teleoperaors' get hold of these and install on the multidial systems, that dial lots of numbers and a 'free' operator simple picks up the phone and dishes their spiel - they do not know who they are talking to very often
I have has many 'silents' calls where the number has rung and no one there. Anbd not a few when a heavily accwented young male/female is trying to tell me all about Orange
This can be a giveaway when a male Bombay accented voice introduces himself as 'Kevin'
There has to be something dodgy there.

PurplePenny 15:20 23 Jan 05

"searching is now a real problem in that we are able to access far too much information"

Within the first weeks of their first term Freshers now have to come to a lecture on "How to find *useful* information online". It is surprising to find out that most of them have no concept at all of refining a search and no awareness of any way of searching beyong Google.

I too remember when the internet was much younger, when the idea of a "world wide web" was nought but an idea and Gopher was the order of the day. One of the few general information sites that we had access to was "The CIA World Fact Book" which offered such gems as "[UK] National Holiday: second Saturday in June". I learnt back then that one had to be careful about the accuracy of the information found online :-)

[It is the Queen's official birthday which is not a national holiday in the UK (I was told at the time that it is a civil service holiday but I've never checked up on that). We don't have a national holiday as such, a point noted in more recent CIA World Fact Books.]

Chris the Ancient 21:22 25 Jan 05

These are caused by 'power diallers'. This is a device that just keeps dialling out random numbers so that if one of the telesales operators finishes a call, there is another punter already on the line.

A pupil of mine works for a telesales company and he says that his company is going to start using a power dialler, so he is going to leave.

TPS registered companies are *supposed* to check their system on a daily basis and the database is supposed to automatically disallow numbers that have registered. In theory.

And, apparently, the system is due to change! Help!

Having said all that, both my numbers here were registered with TPS following the guidelines in the telephone directory, it worked first time. And we haven't had a sales call since. I would have been happy with a serious reduction; but total freedom. Great.

Fellsider 13:24 05 Feb 05

If you feel that TPS registration isn't working sign up for 'Anonymous caller rejection' from your telephone supplier.

All right it costs about £1 a month but it will stop calls that don't transmit the originating number.

Dorsai 08:40 06 Feb 05

I have caller ID, so if it comes up 'private number' I either don't answer, or pick up and then drop the receiver back down.

Alternatively, pick the phone up, then put it to one side and carry on what you were at, letting the phone bill for the 'junk call' run up.

Forum Editor 13:02 06 Feb 05

are not necessarily junk calls - many people don't want their number disclosed for a variety of reasons, and of course they have a perfect right to withold it. It's not possible to know the difference, and picking up the phone and letting the phone bill "run up" in such circumstances is a pretty unpleasant thing to do - far better to simply ignore the call I would have thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…