Mining on the Somme

Quickbeam 11:46 AM 22 May 13

I just came across this fascinating programme on the miners that dug the famous Great War mines nearly a century ago.

It's the first time I've come across anything in detail on the underground front other than a fleeting mention of it in passing. It's well worth a watch.

spuds 12:24 PM 22 May 13

The BBC did a few of these programs a year or more ago, and in the case of the above it is a repeat, which is still well worth watching, especially about how people managed. Isn't there a continuation episode next week?.

Not sure if this particular program is on DVD, but many have been made available via this means.

On a personal note, I was give a collection in volume form 'The Great War - The Standard History of the All-Europe Conflict',that were published in 1915 and followed on from there, while the conflict progressed. Leaving my previous property, the whole collection was lost for some reason. Last year I visited the local Salvation Army charity shop and found two parts to that original volume. Treasures to behold and now to pass on to the future generation, after my departure.

bumpkin 14:08 PM 22 May 13

Just watched it Quickbeam, very interesting programme thanks.

Quickbeam 14:45 PM 22 May 13

I missed that the first time around which is unusual for me spuds.

Cymro. 16:08 PM 22 May 13

I have it on Sky+ Miss out tonight so my evening is sorted.

spuds 18:20 PM 28 May 13

Don't forget there is a program (2nd part) on Channel 5 at 8pm this evening WW1's Tunnels of Death - The Big Dig

spuds 18:23 PM 28 May 13

Perhaps should have also mentioned, there will be a follow up one hour later (5+1) on Freeview and later in the week.

Aitchbee 21:02 PM 28 May 13

The stonemasons' painstakingly chiselling out the large memorial crucifix to bear the large sword [near the end of tonight's C5 programme] was very poigniant.

Quickbeam 08:54 AM 29 May 13

I'll watch later that on the i5sPlayer, or whatever they call their iPlayer.

HondaMan 15:11 PM 29 May 13

Is this it Mining the Somme

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites