Mini USB cables

Quickbeam 08:13 04 Jan 10

Every time I get a new gadget, it comes with a USB to mini USB cable, and the instructions say to only use the supplied cable, so I have. Is there any harm to be done by using say, the Panasonic camera cable for the Sony reader? The only obvious difference is in the hard barrel shaped fitting.

Perhaps I've been lucky but I always use the first one that comes to hand. Never had a problem so I would say there is no difference. (manufacturers may say otherwise of course - thinking of overpriced gold-plated cables !!)

canarieslover 10:28 04 Jan 10

I also have accumulated several and just grab the first one to hand. Never yet had a problem.

johndrew 10:32 04 Jan 10

I agree with oldal1 and canarieslover; and cable should be fine.

The "hard barrel shaped fitting" is, I think, a choke which smooths out spikes or prevents interference.

Quickbeam 12:35 04 Jan 10

I thought that might be the case, I asked as I now have 6 regularly used gadgets with tape markers on them for ID.

ton 16:14 04 Jan 10

I have several. Have always found that 'if it fits, then it works ok'.

morddwyd 16:27 04 Jan 10

Funnily enough, I have found a Panasonic camera lead will not do for a Sony reader, nor will any sort of usb adapter.

It has to be the Sony lead, and it has to be plugged into a PC usb socket, and a motherboard socket at that, a hub just doesn't work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac