Mine Accident wales

Crosstrainer2 04:16 16 Sep 11
Answered

Miners trapped in Wales

Five Live

Swansea Mining Accident

wiz-king 05:57 16 Sep 11

Old mine workings are a hazard. It appears from news reports that they may have broken into a disused flooded part of a mine releasing thousands of gallons of water that has flooded into the working tunnel.

Many of the old mine tunnels have only sketch maps about their locations - no 3d computer models in the 18/1900s - and they are unstable places at best.

I have been in several mine rescues in the past and I wish all of them well, the miners and the rescuers.

Crosstrainer2 06:04 16 Sep 11

Wiz-King

The rescue teams seem to be optomistic that those trapped have found pockets of air, but the longer it goes on, the less likely a succseful rescue becomes.

I hope they are found safe too.....It's been a long time since we had a mining accident here in Wales, brings back a lot of rather sad memories.

With today's superior technology we can only hope that they will be found safe.

morddwyd 06:58 16 Sep 11

As it's a drift, and it's water not firedamp they should have a better chance.

Water goes to the lowest point in a drift, and as long as the miners are not there as well they may be OK, it depends how much air they have.

Crosstrainer2 08:51 16 Sep 11

One miner has sadly been reported as dead. The search is continuing for the other three,but it looks grim.

Quickbeam 18:27 16 Sep 11
Answer
  Aitchbee 19:20 16 Sep 11

Will this coal-mine be closed? What will happen to the miners' jobs if it does? I hope I am not perceived as to being insensitive in the aftermath of this tragedy, but these questions will be asked, if not already.

ams4127 19:28 16 Sep 11

AitchBEE

As far as I know there were only 7 people employed in that mine. One of the four killed so tragically was the owner.

I doubt it will ever reopen.

morddwyd 20:46 16 Sep 11

"I doubt it will ever reopen."

No reason why not.

It was water not gas and as the water level is going down it will son be safe to re-enter.

It produces top quality Welsh anthracite for which there is a good market.

The widow of the owner still needs to keep herself and if she can't face it herself, she may well find a buyer for the mine.

Crosstrainer2 08:34 17 Sep 11

As I posted at the start, accidents like this were so commonplace when I was a youngster...It was almost like going back in time when I heard the news about it.

There are very few mines left working in Wales now, and in fact I was quite surprised that Swansea had any left at all.

My sympathy goes out to the families of those who lost thier lives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac