Millau bridge

Ancient Learner 19:51 26 Apr 08

I've just caught up with a recording we made of Channel5 programme regarding the building of this. Don't know when it was actually on.
All I can say is that it was a most amazing piece of work, and what engineers they were.

We might manage to see it this summer. But I doubt we will dare go on it. The Europa Bridge is quite something to behold but not a patch on this.

Has anyone here actually driven over it I wonder?

anskyber 19:58 26 Apr 08

Yes.

These architectural marvels are quite something. Norman Fosters' design is truely magnificent. click here

It seems the French President, on the opening of the bridge forgot to mention him......and Englishman!

But that is the Gallic way and they have a great country enhanced by a bit of British magic.

ashdav 21:04 26 Apr 08

A really mind boggling sight!
The only thing I found was that it's hard to appreciate the size of it as there is nothing to scale it against.
Best views are obtained by getting off the A75 going south, into Millau itself.
You'll see why the bridge was built then!
Traffic is bad.
Go through the town and follow the signs for the visitors centre.Just says "Millau Bridge!"
The video shown on channel 5 is on constant loop display but in French.
Actually driving over it is a bit of a non event and it costs 6 euros !

exdragon 22:59 26 Apr 08

Just watched this too - isn't it absolutely beautiful?

Forum Editor 17:21 27 Apr 08

and avoided the horrendous queue that used to form to cross the river via the 'old' town bridge. The new bridge is a stunning sight sure enough, but I couldn't help thinking about the huge void beneath me as I drove across.

Gray Goo 17:28 27 Apr 08

Time to stop for lunch then.

jellyhead 18:00 27 Apr 08

Thought you might like to see this stunning picture of the bridge click here

Brumas 19:03 27 Apr 08

One meaning of the adjective 'awful' sums it up - Inspiring awe or admiration or wonder.

Forum Editor 19:20 27 Apr 08

when you're on it you don't really get to appreciate it in all its glory - it's a road.

Brumas 21:53 27 Apr 08

I don't have a problem with heights but I would not relish breaking down/running out of fuel in the middle of it during a storm - gulp!

ashdav 18:40 28 Apr 08

Just to give some sense of scale,if any of you have ever seen the Eiffel tower,the upper level where the restaurant is will fit between the road deck and the river below.
The very top of the Eiffel tower is shorter than the highest pier of the Millau bridge.
There is a graphic display in the visitor centre comparing various well known tall structures around the world with this bridge.
Well worth a look if you're in the area.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…