This might be worth watching tonight.

Blackhat 17:48 14 Dec 10

Why haven't we found aliens yet? BBC4 8:00pm

click here

There have been many threads here containing many views on this subject over the years. I am in the camp of distance V evolution.

Physical contact; intelligent species probably die out before being able to find the technology to cross interstellar space.

Signal contact; there is such a large range of frequencies that detection is almost impossible and unlikely that two different species would develop the same technology.

Having said that, I was involved in the SETI programs and still hold out hope.

Forum Editor 18:07 14 Dec 10

that runs for the next few days anyway. I was thinking only the the other day that it was about time we had another UFO discussion.

Toneman 18:14 14 Dec 10

Have you seen this? /click here

Toneman 18:20 14 Dec 10

Sorry, hadn't got down as far as yours...

Forum Editor 18:23 14 Dec 10

Thank you, I hadn't seen it. I'm a big Voyager fan, I remember it being launched, and thinking 'that won't last long'. I would never have guessed that it would still be travelling and sending back data in 2010.

It's astonishing to think that such a small craft has not only survived for 33 years, but is still functioning well, and after almost 11 billion miles is about to leave the solar system for interstellar space.

The people who made the craft all those years ago have reason to be very proud of their work.

egapup 18:42 14 Dec 10

If you were an alien would you want to talk to us?

Al94 18:56 14 Dec 10

My tiny mind won't allow me to comprehend how they can still track and receive data from a tiny craft so far away!

carver 21:43 14 Dec 10

I wish they had made my car.

Forum Editor 23:34 14 Dec 10

Voyager sends streams of tracking data back to NASA. The data take 16 hours to make the trip from its current position, but Voyager is going to keep sending for another 15 years, and by that time the data streams will take a lot longer to reach Earth.

Such reliability is remarkable, but it becomes even more so when you realise that since a short time after its launch, 33 years ago Voyager 2 has been using its back-up radio to send and receive information. A few weeks after it was launched Voyager expected to receive some important update code from NASA, but at the time the mission controllers were obsessed with fixing a problem with Voyager 1 (which was launched after Voyager 2), and they completely forgot the code update. Voyager's software was programmed to look for an update every week, and when this one didn't arrive it assumed there was a fault with its own main radio, and it switched itself to the back-up receiver.

The switching process blew a fuse in the main radio, so it couldn't be fixed, and to make matters worse a small fault was discovered in the back-up.

It has defied the odds however, and has faithfully transmitted on schedule ever since.

Voyager 2 is headed out into deep space, and provided it isn't hit by anything it will pass Sirius in about a quarter of a million years time. In theory it will keep on going forever - to infinity and beyond in fact.

john bunyan 09:17 15 Dec 10

I wonder if, a couple of thousand years or so ago, the 3 Wise Men were following a UFO?

Quickbeam 10:22 15 Dec 10

Now that we're moving outwards, we are now becoming the aliens. Wooooo, scary...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017