The middle of the day

jtt 16:02 19 Nov 08

I thought that the middle of the day in winter, when the sun reaches its peak was at midday. Checking the BBC 5-day weather summary for London click here, sunrise is around 7:25 and sunset is around 16:05. That implies that the sun is at its highest at around 11:45. I chose London since that's were GMT is. Can anyone explain this?

Jim Thing 16:31 19 Nov 08

"I thought that the middle of the day in winter, when the sun reaches its peak was at midday."

I'm no expert (so don't laugh if this is well off the mark) but isn't your supposition true only at the winter solstice (Dec 21st this year)?

tullie 16:33 19 Nov 08

Hope someone has the exact answer or i wont be able to sleep tonight.

Clapton is God 16:50 19 Nov 08

The middle of the day is noon.

That is, half way between midnight yesterday and midnight today.

tuillie, you may now sleep like a baby. ;-)

nangadef 16:56 19 Nov 08

jtt are you saying that night-time begins at 16:05? Time for bed methinks ;-)

john bunyan 17:31 19 Nov 08

See this from Wikipedia:
Solar noon is the moment when the sun appears the highest in the sky (nearest zenith), compared to its positions during the rest of the year. It occurs when the Sun is transitting the celestial meridian. This is also the origin of the terms ante meridiem and post meridiem as noted above. The Sun is directly overhead at solar noon at the equator on the equinoxes; at Tropic of Cancer (latitude 23° 26? 22? N) on the June solstice; and at Tropic of Capricorn (23° 26? 22? S) on the December solstice. Due to the effects of the use of standard time, daylight saving time, and the equation of time, clock noon and solar noon rarely coincide.

tullie 18:50 19 Nov 08

Good answer JB

john bunyan 09:29 20 Nov 08

tullie. Hope you slept well. There are intersting
differences in this subject. For example Sunset, Nautical twilight and lighting up time are all different, as are the morning equivalents. Must not hijack thread though!

tullie 09:39 20 Nov 08

Go on JB

john bunyan 09:59 20 Nov 08

tullie. getting a bit nerdy but say you were planning a night military operation, you would include a whole lot of data for the team, such as
(If waterborne)
Moon Phase and times of moonrise, High Water, Low Water, Sunrise, Sunset, End of Nautical Twilight, Start of nautical twilight etc.etc.
Loosely nautical twilight starts when it starts to get darker, then comes sunset, and later is the end of nautical twilight - ie when it is dark. All this varies with the time of year and the latitude and longtitude....(probably bored you to sleep again!!)

john bunyan 10:01 20 Nov 08

may have got a bit wrong - think start of nautical twilight may come after sunset. A "yachttie" will no doubt correct me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5