Microsoft Outlook 12

ajm 09:43 31 Dec 05

Is anyone here in the forum testing/running the latest beta version of Office 12. I am especially interested in Outlook 12. Are there any features worthwhile in Outlook 12 against the current Outlook 2003.

i use it in a home office envoironment and do not have a server/exchange setup.

Is it possible to obtain the beta version of the Office 12 suite and from where?

Forum Editor 09:49 31 Dec 05

for MS Office 12 - along with 9,999 other people - and I have been testing the beta 1 version of new suite for a while now.

You can't obtain the beta at this stage unless invited by Microsoft, but undoubtedly there will eventually be a public beta for download.

In the meantime I regret to say that Microsoft make you sign a pretty tight non-disclosure agreement as a condition of your beta-testing status, and that means I'm not allowed to write about it. I doubt that they would clap me in irons if I told you that in my opinion Outlook 12 is a big improvement on Outlook 2003........so I will.

Bear in mind that this is the developer beta 1 - and it doesn't contain many of the features which will be in the next beta version.

ade.h 14:52 31 Dec 05

Is the new Office suite still on schedule for a release late '06?

Forum Editor 15:39 31 Dec 05

Yes, as far as I know, but don't bet the farm on it.

This will be a major release, and Microsoft will try very hard to get it running smoothly before the code goes gold. That means testing, testing, and more testing, and then more testing.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

ade.h 16:32 31 Dec 05

Quite right too. We want it to be top notch. This is the one that may well tempt me to upgrade from 2000, though if the right version of 2003 starts going cheap...

I've tried Open Office - slow. Tried Ability Office - not bad. MS is still the best.

ajm 16:33 31 Dec 05

Thanks for your response. I understand that you cannot disclose any more information.
Its a tough job, yeah, but you should consider yourself lucky that you are one of the few "chosen" out of the billions on this planet!!!

Forum Editor 11:59 01 Jan 06

In one respect, maybe, but Microsoft make you sing for your supper. There's a special website, where you have to complete regular (and sometimes very long-winded) reports, and then there are beta newsgroups, beta forums, bug reporting, etc.

By the time the beta process is finished, and the product goes to the shrink-wrap stage I sometimes feel I have known it all my life.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…