Microsoft and Opera......

Mikè 21:13 23 Dec 05
  Mr Mistoffelees 21:22 23 Dec 05

So who is telling the truth, Opera Software ASA or an unamed source somewhere in Microsoft?

Forum Editor 23:16 23 Dec 05

Once a Premier says about a minister:

"I have complete confidence in him/her,and there is absolutely no truth in the rumour that I have asked for his/her resignation" you know that the minister concerned will be resigning very shortly.

VoG II 23:32 23 Dec 05

FE, how true that is.

Ill wait to see the outcome of this with some interest as it is not immediately apparent what Microsoft would do with Opera technology. Bury it maybe?

Forum Editor 00:00 24 Dec 05

I doubt it. Opera is, in some ways more advanced than Internet Explorer. It was the first browser in the world to have tabs, and it would make an ideal club with which to beat Firefox. With Microsoft's marketing clout Opera could make a very worthy opponent to FireFox - and that could be the rationale here.

powerless 01:31 24 Dec 05

Update: Opera recently confirmed that Microsoft has not approached the browser maker and there is no active acquistion deal between the two companies currently.

I think netcaptor was the first tabbed browser? click here

sattman 09:48 24 Dec 05

Aquisition may be a pipe dream of Microsoft but "Opera Software ASA" is confident in its product and with over 6 million users it can not be ignored as Microsoft recently found out

click here

Forum Editor 23:39 24 Dec 05

Actually there was tabbed browsing before Opera, and even before Netcaptor. Back in the early nineties there as a browser called GNNWorks, used by AOL.

It wasn't very good, and to all intents and purposes I think most people would consider the first tabbed browser to enjoy any sort of widespread success was Opera, although NetCaptor wasn't bad.

Don't always take what these big browser companies say at face value. Microsoft and Opera may be up to more than they're admitting.........but then again, they may not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…