Microsoft Office

elkimhowscot 14:34 10 Apr 07

I have Microsoft Office 1997, I'm on XP. My friend just got the new 2007 Microsoft Office. I can't open any files that he sends me that end in X. He sent me a ppsx file and a document x file. Any solution?

VoG II 14:38 10 Apr 07

Open, edit, and save documents, workbooks, and presentations in the file formats new to Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007. click here

wee eddie 14:45 10 Apr 07

I'm afraid that you're paddle-less up the creek.

Kate B 14:48 10 Apr 07

Ask your mate to resave the documents in compatibility mode and resend them to you. This is going to be a niggle for a while: people with the new Office should remember that most folk don't have the new version and make a point of defaulting to the old formats unless there's a good reason not to.

VoG II 15:21 10 Apr 07

I can't find anything on that page that says that it won't work with Office 97. The file formats for Word, Excel and Powerpoint were the same for versions 97 to 2003. I would give it a try and if it doesn't work then uninstall it.

rodriguez 15:22 10 Apr 07

.docx is an interesting new format. They are actually just zip files that contain a lot of XML code. If you rename it from .docx to .zip and extract the contents you'll have 3 folders and a .xml file called [Content_Types]. Ignore this, open up the folder that says "word" and open up the file called "document.xml". You can then read the documents contents - along with all it's XML code, which is why it's probably better to get your mate to resave them as Office 97-2003 compatible or use the Compatibilty Pack that VoG™ posted.

HondaMan 15:28 10 Apr 07

fact since the beta versions that MSO2007 files could not be opened with earlier editions of MSO.

VoG II 15:47 10 Apr 07

"Thanks loads for your answer. It works!"

Forum Editor 19:12 10 Apr 07

Post your request for help in the Helproom - this area is for more general discussions.

I'm pleased you got your answer, though.

Lots of people are running into the same problem, and Microsoft has released free compatibility packs, as VoG™ pointed out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017