Microsoft Office 2007 and PDF

jz 22:22 04 Jun 06

Saw this news story on the PC Advisor website:

"Adobe is expected to file an antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft in Europe after talks between the two companies failed to resolve a dispute over Microsoft's use of Adobe's PDF software ... Microsoft's Office [2007] suite includes PDF and Adobe wants its software to be removed and offered for a fee ... Microsoft is willing to take PDF out of Office, but does not want to charge for it"

I have some sympathy with companies like Netscape who had the rug pulled from under them by Microsoft's inclusion of IE in Windows. However, I can't shed any tears for Adobe about this. I think that their Acrobat PDF writer software does very little but costs a lot, and it's about time Microsoft Office could generate PDFs directly - most other word processors do.

Forum Editor 22:33 04 Jun 06

In my opinion Adobe acrobat is wildly expensive at around £250 for the standard edition. How many home users are prepared to shell out that kind of money for something they'll use infrequently, when there are other, far cheaper PDF-creation programs out there?

Zak 21:23 05 Jun 06

for private / personal use

I came across these plug-ins and they work for me with MS Office Pro 2003

CIB pdf Plug-in for MS Word
click here

This is for other windows applications, I have it running with Excel
CIB pdf brewer:

click here

Sir Radfordin 22:08 05 Jun 06

Just after Adobe had released version 7 of Acrobad I went on a 1/2 day training course provided by them but using an external consultant - FOC. Was the best trainer I've ever had!

Anyway, the reason Adobe said they were doing it was because they were fed up with producing reall good software and people saying they thought it was worth about £50. They wanted to show people how much more you could do - if only you knew it was an option. Have to say I was very impressed with some of the functionality, though still tend to use it simply for PDF creation. A shame really!

Forum Editor 23:12 05 Jun 06

This has always been the problem with Adobe - they fail to understand that 90% of all the people who use PDF software simply want to create files in PDF format - and nothing more.

The very reason that so many people make the £50 comment should be telling the company something - that people don't want to pay £250 in order to be able to make a PDF file.

UncleP 00:24 06 Jun 06

I find that I am increasingly using Serif software for a number of purposes not just because, as a long-term customer, I get recent versions of their products offered for around £10 which will not only output pdf files, but will accept them as input (from whatever source).

I have no other connection with Serif (and the above comment is not intended to be a recommendation for them specifically - other suppliers offer similar products at similar prices), but I do feel they have realized the importance of the pdf standard and adopted the right strategy, whereas Adobe seem to be stuck in the past and ignoring the threat from Microsoft.

jz 23:35 06 Jun 06

Thanks for your replies. Interesting comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…