Microsoft Essentials

Mike D 08:46 03 Oct 09

Not sure where to post this, so apologies if I'm wrong. After all the hype I have had to use it. I have a smallish network at work and I thought it was well protected, physical firewall, Sophos AV and so on. On Friday I logged in to find the pesky Antivirus Pro 2010 on the system. I used Malbyte Malware remover and delved into the registry, also did a full scan with Sophos - no joy. The guy who is my backstop when I get into trouble looked at it and eventually tried Microsoft's free offering. The two PCs are now as clean as a whistle.

Well done Microsoft!

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:50 03 Oct 09

Antivirus Pro 2010 is not a virus but it is a trojan and infects computers by stealth. There is little protection against it as the user inadvertently gives it permission to run. I have always found that a deep scan, in safe mode, with Malawarebytes, sorts it.

G

birdface 11:35 03 Oct 09

A difference between Malware Removal and Malwarebytes.
Malwarebytes will get rid of most problems as GANDALF <|:-)> says.

The two PCs are now as clean as a whistle.
I have heard that so often maybe try Malwarebytes free and see what it finds.
You need a good Full time protection program installed and for this you may have to dig into your pockets and pay.
A Squared Anti-Malware or Malwarebytes both pay for programs will help.Any one of those. Maybe someone can suggest a different one. But unless you get something decent you will be back.

mymate 14:33 04 Oct 09

Mike D I am using Microsoft Essentials . Avira wasnt updating for me and when i booted up the computer it was so slow loading with Avira on it. ME seems fine to me at the moment .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017