Microsoft costs £££

zekea 17:59 14 Aug 06

So if MS charge plenty of £££ for Vista, would you considor switching to Linux?

It may be free, but is it still on par with MS?

octal 18:08 14 Aug 06

I already use Linux. Don't be fooled by it being free, I agree you can get the Kernel free but it needs a terrific amount of work to configure and set it up how you want and you need to know what you are doing. There are distributions that save all that but most of them you have to pay for.

I use Xandros Linux, it looks like Windows but that's where the resemblance stops.

I won't be going back to Windows by the way, my choice.

HondaMan 18:13 14 Aug 06

Octal, I am considering the switch to Linux. Could you let us know what software you use for WP/DataBase etc and how it compares to MS's offerings. I run several databases for people and need a little info. before I jump ship>

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:20 14 Aug 06

Linux has been 'free' for yonks and people still use MS...does this answer your question?

G

octal 18:27 14 Aug 06

I use OpenOffice, there is a version for Windows as well.

SG Atlantis® 18:37 14 Aug 06

When Linux runs everything MS does, inc. hardware support, software & games and things get configured/installed by clicking "next" and then "finish".

Just maybe.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:31 14 Aug 06

As things are with Linux, I see no likelihood, or good reason, for me to change over. Sooner or later I will change from XP to Vista, probably in around a year to eighteen months.

dth 20:59 14 Aug 06

Personally I outgrew MS stuff a few years ago. I still use XP occasionally but these days it just seems so limited and backward looking.

If you jump ship and try Suse Linux you will be amazed - everything works out of the box. No driver problems, defragging, drm, virus sagas, spyware or any of the product activation nonsense & MS checking-up spyware.

ade.h 21:11 14 Aug 06

I have had Suse since last year and I still switch over to it quite regularly.

DieSse 23:01 14 Aug 06

*...everything MS does, inc. hardware support, software & games and things get configured/installed by clicking "next" and then "finish"*

As if Windows is that simple - this forum gives the lie to that.

How about if Windows ran everything that Linux does - that would be a first too!

DieSse 23:09 14 Aug 06

*It may be free, but is it still on par with MS?*

The honest answer is it's better in some respects, and not as good in other respects. Some versions can take a bit of getting used to, and some can be a pig to install.

Games can be problematical, as Windows is the most poular platform for most games. But then a games console is generally a better platform for games, if you need them.

General, Internet, and Office software is a breeze, however.

Xandros, OpenSuse, Freespire are all available as free downloads. You'd have little or no problems installing and using any of them with most hardware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…