Microsoft buys Skype

Forum Editor 18:02 PM 10 May 11

Microsoft has confirmed that it has agreed to buy internet phone service Skype.

for a reported £5.2 billion.

Guess what you'll find bundled with Windows 8 when it comes over the hill?

Bingalau 18:13 PM 10 May 11

Wot?

Forum Editor 18:15 PM 10 May 11

Bingalau

I'm going right out on a limb here, but I'm guessing.....Skype.

lucky1 18:42 PM 10 May 11

I too was totally clueless about Skype until I got this new laptop where it came as part of the bundled package. I haven't used it but had a look to see what it could do. Not all is free it transpires!

flycatcher1 19:02 PM 10 May 11

I have been using Skype for a long time, a great free service. A friend of mine uses it for Business Contacts throughout the world.

wee eddie 19:16 PM 10 May 11

It has to be patently obvious, well it is to me.

Microsoft's latest acknowledged business challenge is to turn it's Products, from a one off Purchase, to an Income Stream. Skype, although Free to use, will be part of that program.

I would think that Skype will still be free to use, but have Adverts included somewhere in the package, with the proviso that, for a small Premium you can have it Advert Free. This would give M$ a chance to work out what is the most successful method of collecting that Premium.

I believe that later Microsoft Office will become a 'Rentable' Product, although whether it's to be split into its various component parts or Rented in bundles, as it is now Sold, is something I cannot guess.

amonra 19:22 PM 10 May 11

Bang goes another useful product. Whatever MS touches does not turn to gold !

ams4127 20:05 PM 10 May 11

I tried it for a few months when it first came out. So much noise during calls (on the odd occasion when I could connect) that I gave up. Think I still have about £8 in there somewhere.

morddwyd 20:29 PM 10 May 11

Used it for years (son in Australia!), and now also have it on my Android mobile, where it is very fast and very convenient.

I wonder how that will sit with MS?

Condom 20:36 PM 10 May 11

Her indoors uses Skype but I use Microsoft Messenger. I really don't know much about Skype but is it really that much different to Messenger that they pay all this money for it?

Bingalau 21:18 PM 10 May 11

I have used it for a good few years now to call relo's in Oz. It costs about 20 pence for thirty minutes and of course you have to pay in advance by loading an amount to do so. Calls to other computers are free and calls to a telephone set are cheap as chips. I have never done so as I don't have a camera. (who would want to see my gob?) but I believe you can use the video system too.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites