Microsoft backs down in Europe.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:32 24 Jan 05

This from the BBC click here

I have all three players on my PC and, in my opinion, Microsoft Media Player 10 is the best of them.

CurlyWhirly 19:46 24 Jan 05

I have to agree as I prefer WMP as well!

tenplus1 21:11 24 Jan 05

The order won't make much of a difference anyhow, as soon as you run Windows Update it'll download and install WMP10 anyhow... :)

Although I must say, I personally use VLC Player myself...

Cook2 21:14 24 Jan 05

WMP and WMM do all I need.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:22 24 Jan 05

Am I missing can delete the player or...errrrrm...use another. Could someone explain what all the fuss (aka money to lawyers) is all about? In any case WMP does all and more that I need.

LastChip 22:36 24 Jan 05

is worldwide dominance, as many people are ignorant that alternatives exist. Further, that Microsoft made it extremely difficult for other software manufacturers to get their offerings to work properly within Windows.

The stifling, or even destruction of competition, cannot ultimately be to anyone's benefit, except perhaps, Microsoft!

steven_frost 22:55 24 Jan 05

but will it bring the cost of the os down ?

Forum Editor 23:25 24 Jan 05

without Windows Media Player flying off the shelves at the rate of dozens a year.

When anyone else comes up with a player that is even remotely as good I imagine Microsoft will be very, very concerned. In the meantime I hope that most people see this for what it is - an over-hyped, rather meaningless victory for the lawyers who have no doubt gone home to study the cost of villas in Bermuda.

Charence 23:26 24 Jan 05

I've got WMP, Real, iTunes, Quicktime and various other programs for music and video. In my opinion WMP is the best and comes with the most features and I'd install it on my computer if it didn't come with it. I don't really see what the problem of pre-installed WMP is; if I was to buy a new car, even if its a cheap one I'd expect at least a radio or CD player in it, there is always the option of an alternative but shouldn't something be there for people who don't have the internet? I'm guessing some people still may not have the net, maybe they would also like to listen music, what'll they do? I also much preferred IE when it had the inbuilt WMP, its a lot better than waiting for WMP to load in its own window and disturbing what you're looking at on your browser.

steven_frost - I doubt it, its a free program so I don't think it'll alter the cost of Windows.

I wonder - do Apple computers come with Quicktime installed? (I don't own a Mac so could someone please enlighten me?)

helmetshine 03:38 25 Jan 05

I seem to remember a few court cases about Internet Explorer being included with Windows as thats IE and WMP that they are supposed to be abusing their position with....yet some people still think that,as Windows isn't too secure,they should include a proper firewall and anti-virus with it any wonder they don' would only amount to two more court appearances for them when the firewall and AV vendors got the hump about it.Seems to me that a lot of the time Microsoft are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Zaphod Beeblebrox 05:51 25 Jan 05

Much ado about nothing if it was impossible to install an alternative i could see the reason. As this is not the case i cant see what all the fuss is about. I currently run wmp winamp real player and QT all co-exsisting quite happily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…