Merry Christmas from HMRC

morddwyd 08:29 27 Nov 11

Following my September refund, I have just received another letter from HMRC telling me that they charged me too much in 2006, and would I please accept a £200 refund plus a bonus!

No doubt I'll be told this is tax avoidance, and I should donate it to the Treasury.

morddwyd 09:36 27 Nov 11

Only file tax returns on request, i.e. when HMRC send me one for completion.

Since I am on a fixed income this isn't very often, maybe once every three years or so.

johndrew 10:12 27 Nov 11

Given the continual (it appears) reports of people being given wrong codes, paying less than required and demands for payment, you may be wise to put your windfall in a safe place - just in case.

I am in much the same position as you - a pensioner with fixed income - and have been very wary of such good luck ever since I received some eight letters from HMRC in one week advising that I had various codes, had underpaid and/or overpaid and was to be refunded or expected to pay various amounts. It took some time to sort it out and in the end nothing changed from before the letters arrived. Apparently a computer error - nothing to do with human beings then!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac