Is Mental Health Care the poor relation in the NHS

season8 20:16 07 Nov 06

Mental health problems can affect anyone, rich or poor, young or old, shattering the lives of those affected and the lives of the people close to them. One in four of us will experience a mental health problem at some point in our lives. Each year more than 250,000 people are admitted to psychiatric hospitals and over 4,000 people take their own lives.

In the NHS Mental ill health is under funded and often patients are treated in Dickensian or Victorian building often in need of repair. In a modern society should we not be doing more to help people with a variety of mental health problems

Young men are most at risk of taking their own lives.

Z1100 20:20 07 Nov 06

NHS Care is appaling. I went private, if I didn't I may well be dead today. Fact!

Hanx!
K.

season8 20:27 07 Nov 06

I have seen up close how someone killing themselves can destroy the lives of those who are loved by those who choose this course of action and how sad it can be for those left behind.

Note: I'm sorry if anyone is offended by my post.

oresome 21:00 07 Nov 06

In answer to the question, I don't know if mental health gets a fair allocation of the available money or not.

It seems like every morning on the news programmes, there's a pressure group pleading their case for a larger slice of the available resource.

The trouble is, they don't suggest who should get a smaller slice as a consequence.

I'm pleased I don't have to play God, allocating finite resources.

knockin on 21:38 07 Nov 06

You are right, the NHS struggles to offer adequate resources for Mental Health therapies.
I work in this area both for the NHS and by way of a private practice.
Unfortunately, oresome is also right - it is a case of trying to share too small a cake amongst too many mouths.
We can only do our best with what we have.

Input Overload 23:03 07 Nov 06

season8 it's not too good for the person who ends up in the situation who feels they have no choice but demise & may have fought a battle with this for many years. Many end in this situation despite medical care.

Z1100 23:53 07 Nov 06

If the NHS trained the Pshcy Nurses (therapists) to deliver the Cognitive Behaviour Therapy or made it more available may in fact be the better statement, then and only then will recurrent depressives like me get the treatment they require.

Ok, I am lucky right now, the company my wife works for provides private health care for both of us at a reasonable rate but times change...

Hanx!
K.

sunny staines 16:06 08 Nov 06

not enough beds as itis for mental health, also to get a section 12 doctor [needed to section someone]with the explosion in the use of drugs dualdrug/ mental health problems are expanding at a fast rate.
I was involved with mental health for a while, there is no easy answer,a lot of people have a lot of complex problems,the nhs has a lack of funding,a lot a patient will not take medication,some doctors shy out of correct decesions out of fear of being sued if they are proved wrong. a worry for those still working in this difficult area and for patients with genuine problems not caused by drugs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac