Menezes

laurie53 08:33 24 Oct 07

Cressida Dick (Police commander in charge of the Menezes operation) says that had she known then what she knows now she would not have acted differently.

click here

So even had she known he was innocent, as she does now, she would still have ordered her officers to "stop" him.

newman35 08:45 24 Oct 07

I think words are being played with, here.
Obviously no police officer is going to order a man to be shot if she had known he was innocent.
The phrase '..at the time' is important. She, presumably was at the end of a phone directing operations as best she could - would any of us like to have such responsibility?
Mistakes happen, and if we crucify every error made then eventually we will get the police force we deserve, nobody will do it.

techie4me 14:06 24 Oct 07

The intelligence was that he was a perceived target, the police acted so in the defence of keeping a potential bomber from achieving their ultimate goal, their are always casualties in the fight against terrorism. And this is one of them.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:20 24 Oct 07

The *ahem* intelligence was so far out that it is very worrying. The 'suppliers' of this intelligence need a good looking at just to end speculation that some people would consider them to be a bunch of disorganised muppets.

G

JanetO 15:35 24 Oct 07

Yes, anyone can make mistakes, but holding a man down then putting seven bullets into his brain is a silly little slip-up never again to be repeated I hope.

HondaMan 16:02 24 Oct 07

explain to me why it took 7 bullets in the head to "stop him"?

laurie53 16:32 24 Oct 07

But that is exactly my point - it would be repeated.

Cressida Dick said that if she had known then what she knows now, i.e. that he was innocent, she would have given the same orders.

That is what is so frightening.

interzone55 18:34 24 Oct 07

Current policy is to put sufficient bullets into the "target" that they won't get up and walk again.

The aim is to sever the brain stem so that if they have the bomb trigger in their hand they won't release it as an automatic impulse.

Having said all that, I do feel that seven bullets in the head is a little excessive.

Strawballs 22:20 24 Oct 07

If he had been a suicide bomber and they had hesitated and he had killed lots of comuters then the police would have been crucified for that, the papers headlines would have been they had him in their sites and did nothing, I for one would not want to have been those police with him running with a backpack from the police and not stopping when called to.

WhiteTruckMan 22:33 24 Oct 07

And what do you consider sufficient?

WTM

DieSse 01:44 25 Oct 07

So now you want perfect intelligence on suspected terrorists. Have you ever stopped to think how unlikely that could ever be?

Perhaps you'd give them all forms to fill, overview committees to check, and targets to reach?

Rubbish - intelligence at its very best is an inexact science - foreign terrorist organisations are close to impossible to penetrate - intelligence is absolutely bound to be sketchy. Nevertheless doing nothing with inexact or even faulty information is not an option with suspected terrorists.

It's tough and its regrettable - but innocents always suffer somewhere along the line. My view is that's a price that has to be paid for the operations that prevent many atrocities from ever happening, and thus save many other innocents.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…