Media Centre PC

NT Server 08:10 21 Jun 05

I was going to build a PC based on Microsoft Media Centre 2005. I already have a spare pc. When I looked at how much it would cost I had a re think. A friend told me to look at open source software. So I had a look at click here and found Media Portal. It runs on XP and looks like MCE. It even uses the MCE remote control. It supports a lot more hardware and a lot more features than MCE and the best bit it is completely free!!!!. I had it up and running in ten minutes. In fact it took longer to download .Net Framework 1.1 (Media Portal needs this to run. You can get it through Windows update, its free as well) I wish that PC Advisor would review open source software. click here

Charence 14:22 21 Jun 05

Looks interesting. What type of remote do you need to use? Can you buy them from most shops?

Cheers, Charence

NT Server 21:51 29 Jun 05

Sorry I have not replied. You can use the Microsoft remote for MCE2005. There is an option in the set up plus any TV card that you buy, you can use there’s as well. The new version of Media Portal comes out tomorrow. (1/7)

NT Server 21:53 29 Jun 05

Oh I forgot to say that you can buy the OEM version of the MCE2005 remote for about £23.00 from Ebuyer.

De Marcus 22:17 29 Jun 05

Thank you very much

De Marcus 22:21 29 Jun 05

I've been using a cut down AV version of linux to do this and it was a bit of a pain, this is perfecto, one happy bunny :-)

Completealias 01:50 30 Jun 05

bookmarked cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…