Matchbox sized device breakdown warning.

Ex plorer 16:12 PM 11 Mar 13

Heres another small computer gadget to fit to your car, not cheap but it may pay for high mileage users.

Car warning device

Aitchbee 19:02 PM 11 Mar 13

This sounds very similar to the money saving 'device' that FE is getting fitted to his car. [Thru' his insurance company]

Bing.alau 20:48 PM 11 Mar 13

I think the one the FE is getting will be more for insurance purposes though. It will probably record and report speeds, braking times and gear changes etc, even though he has an automatic box.

The one the RAC is more likely to record and report engine faults and check on fuel being used. Then again I am not an engineering type so can only guess.

Quickbeam 21:56 PM 11 Mar 13

They transmit vehicle OBD 11 fault codes recorded by the ECU to RAC GCHQ ASAP.

Quickbeam 21:57 PM 11 Mar 13

Quickbeam 22:05 PM 11 Mar 13

You may want to note that OBC11 DTC has now been superseded by EOBD DTC...

Kevscar1 07:26 AM 12 Mar 13

Now If they could only come up with one for humans

Quickbeam 08:48 AM 12 Mar 13

That's not beyond the realms of possibility when you look how scientific, mechanical and medical technology have raced through the 20th century.

Will each successive century advance at that rate, or was it a one off milestone century we lived through?

Ex plorer 09:30 AM 12 Mar 13

Thinking about this gadget and almost a tenner a month to be part of the scheme, I wounder if most of us really do need it.

On my Astra its loaded with warning lights that would make me pop into the local garage for a check up, It usually costs a tenner and most times fixed on the spot if its little or nothing, or booked in for a check up.

Then there is the Vauxhall Manual that came with the car that can tell me what wrong but then I have time to do this.

Such as fleet and hire company's etc. it may be a godsend.

Handy link Quickbeam.

Quickbeam 09:46 AM 12 Mar 13

There's still no substitute for regular preventative servicing, a lot will just drive until the smart matchbox tells them that the RAC will meet them at the next junction for the breakdown that they're about to have!

I use one of these Vgate VS450, it saves me a small fortune in having to pay silly money to put a warning light out after I've done the repair myself.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:21 AM 12 Mar 13

You can buy software (TOAD) and cables to connect to the car's OBD (EOBD II after 2001)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11