Marvelous System Restore

thospot 20:12 21 Apr 06

Isn't the 'System Restore' facility a marvelous idea... Whoever designed it should have a medal...

I decided to follow someones advise the other day and having more courage than sense I used 'RegCleaner'...

I lost the ability to use email and also my PC-cillin virus checker and lord knows what else, I didn't want to find out.. After half an hour of panic it suddenly came to me to use System Restore and behold, it worked. Remarkable...

rmcqua 20:18 21 Apr 06

Yes, indeed, it's got me out of many a sticky situation!

TOPCAT® 21:21 21 Apr 06

I may be wrong here with 'RegCleaner' but most cleaners create a backup of any entries removed from the registry, or give the user this option, in case something goes wrong. Having said that, I do agree that SR can be a 'life-saver' for many of us. TC.

VoG II 22:04 21 Apr 06

RegscrubXP click here is far safer than some of these other registry cleaners. I don't like the others - they are far too vicious in my opinion.

surf13 22:16 21 Apr 06

I had a trojan once and I was told to run the anti-virus, turn off system restore, switch the pc off and then turn on system restore. got rid of it. Otherwise it might still be lurking around and sooner or later trouble starts again

SG Atlantis® 22:51 21 Apr 06

Best idea since sliced bread. lol.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:43 22 Apr 06

System restore is probably the single most important feature of XP and is indeed a life saver.

If a trojan or virus is in system restore it cannot infect a computer...unless you restore back to that point. This is the reson why it is a good idea to clear system restore if you have a virus/trojan problem. The virus/trojan will ot 'creep out' of system restorw to reinfect a computer.

thospot 10:59 22 Apr 06

I shut down at 2100 hrs last night so didn't see this response. Thanks to all of you...

I will certainly take VOGs opinion on board and change 'RegCleaner' for 'RegscrubXP' and have another go at cleaning my registry.

If I get into trouble with that I shall be asking for help.

I do understand about the 'back up' available with these programs but I just don't understand a lot of it. Even the 'Help' information with RegCleaner, a lot of it is double Dutch to me so I just take a chance... I know that after using RegCleaner I had a persistant message saying a virus was about to infect my computer but I couldn't do anything about it because PCcillin had gone kaput....

bluenote 01:13 23 Apr 06

I agree that system restore is potentionaly great .But why does it not always work.I recently had a problem ,but when i tried several restore points i still could not restore to a previous time.Even one I created manualy.

€dstowe 07:12 23 Apr 06

System Restore is no substitute for a regularly maintained full system backup.

System Restore can, and often does, fail to come up with the goods.

VCR97 20:49 23 Apr 06

I did a restoration today. It claimed to have been a success. However, I saw that most of the desktop icons had been duplicated. Looking around with Explorer showed many duplicated files of type name(2).extn so I searched on
*(2).* and came up with 7904 results! How did that happen? I tried to restore to an earlier point but couldn't. I decided to create a restore point (just in case) and then to delete all 7904 ,hoping that no "real" file would have a (2) in it and being prepared for disaster. Much to my surprise it worked. Has anyone else come across this problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…