Marks on the wall. Help!

Chris the Ancient 19:07 29 Jul 07

Here comes a genuine question - it's not a trick one.

I took my rather crude map of the local area off of the wall in my 'office' and the blu-tack has left stains on the emulsion. I've rubbed off all the surplus sticky, but I'm left with what looks like grease spots. Any idea how I can get rid of those - without repainting or stripping off the paint?

WhiteTruckMan 19:11 29 Jul 07

Put something else up to hide it?

WTM

anskyber 19:12 29 Jul 07

You could try jif or similar cream cleaners. don't use on a water finished rather than vinyl type finish.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:13 29 Jul 07
  paddyjack 19:14 29 Jul 07

Have you tried WD40, it seems to do most every thing else

laurie53 19:22 29 Jul 07

The "grease" marks left by genuine Blu Tac normally evaporate after a while.

How long have you got?

Chris the Ancient 20:19 29 Jul 07

Some ideas there. From Fruit Bat's links, sugar soap or lighter fluid seem popular. I'll see if I can get any.

I won't try cream cleanser as I think it's a water-based emulsion.

I've tried the plastic eraser - no luck.

evaporation? I do have time - but it's like that nagging toothache - I know it's there!

v1asco 20:40 29 Jul 07

Help the evaporation along with a hairdryer.

Chris the Ancient 20:48 29 Jul 07

Good thought...

But...

I'm single and don't have enough hair to need a dryer! :o((

try stain block available at BQ or homebase
click here

Stuartli 21:32 29 Jul 07

click here

"The packaging highlights that Blu-Tack may occasionally leave an oily stain. Without resorting to some form of solvent, which is probably going to stain the surface as well, this is pretty much impossible to avoid.

"Bostik suggest the use of lighter fuel or dry-cleaning fluid, both of which should be handled with extreme caution."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple