Margaret Thatcher

superhoops 12:24 02 Aug 08

Is it just me or is it extremely poor taste to be discussing Margret Thatcher's funeral before she has even died? God knows what the poor lady must think reading this
click here

Cymro. 12:46 02 Aug 08

Many people make plans for their own funeral these days and a good thing too I think. As for Mrs. Thatcher being upset by reading about such things I doubt it very much.

Whatever Mrs. Thatcher is or was she has always struck me as being very practical and level headed. Personally I never liked her or her politics and so don`t think she should have a state funeral.

Forum Editor 12:50 02 Aug 08

Most famous people are aware that there will be public interest in their death, and they know that newspapers and TV and Radio companies have obituaries ready to go long before the event.

Im sure that Margaret Thatcher of all people is quite used to speculation about the death of public figures, and I doubt that she loses any sleep over this.

€dstowe 13:14 02 Aug 08

I can never understand why there is such a taboo about talking of death - whether that be of oneself or someone else.

It is a subject of free discussion in my family and we all know each others wishes when the day comes to be despatched.

TopCat® 15:58 02 Aug 08

arrangements of most qualifying famous personages, including all members of the Royal Family, have long since been drawn up. They will obviously be revised and updated as required over time, but only revealed to high officials once a personage is dead or is terminally ill. TC.

day2strike 16:49 02 Aug 08

Maggie was a lot stronger as leader than the current goverment has been in the last 11 years.

anskyber 17:07 02 Aug 08

A State funeral for such a divisive character would be an inappropriate political act.

She did some important things but also divided the nation, not someone to honour in this way.

interzone55 19:25 02 Aug 08

The Pharaoh's sorted their funeral arrangements well in advance...

laurie53 21:06 02 Aug 08

A regular task in newspaper and broadcasting offices is keeping the obituaries up to date, ready for instant use. It is not unknown for the information to come from the agent or family concerned.

Where's KateB when we need her? I'll bet it's a job she's done!

Though divisive and polarising Margaret Thatcher was a very good Prime Minister. However, she has nothing to warrant a state funeral.

ventanas 21:38 02 Aug 08

Divisive my foot, she was the finest prime minister we have ever had, and fully deserves such a accolade. I have never admired anyone more.

Clapton is God 22:12 02 Aug 08

"I have never admired anyone more".

What? Not even Churchill?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos