Manx currency

WhiteTruckMan 00:04 09 Sep 07

Hopefully a simple one for someone, but is manx currency legal tender in mainland britain? I'm asking because one of the children produced a manx 50p coin and offered it to me to swap for a 'normal' one. None of us is quite sure, although it would go into a coin machine ok.

WTM

rdave13 00:32 09 Sep 07

click here and scroll down. Clear as mud.

Forum Editor 07:32 09 Sep 07

and therefore the Manx pound isn't legal tender here.

Quickbeam 09:51 09 Sep 07

About 5 years ago trucking on the way up to Scotland I stopped at Carlisle North services, which is in Engand. I put my cashcard into a Halifax money fountain (my bank at the time) to withdraw £400 and got it in Bank of Scotland notes.

I didn't want this as I was coming back that day and have problems passing Scottish notes on, anyway... when I complained to my bank, The Halifax, they insisted they 'were legal tender' in England...?

I ended up putting them back into my bank as they were a problem to spend, and the cashier at my local bank put them aside to send back north... what's that all about then?!

As for the Manx coins, as they are exactly the same value & size as mainland coins, they often turn up in loose change un-noticed, and get passed on the same way.

dagbladet 10:29 09 Sep 07

Scottish banknotes are not legal tender, even in Scotland. However, there is a difference between legal tender and acceptable currency.

WhiteTruckMan 10:51 09 Sep 07

I now accept that manx currency isnt legal here. but it does beg the question if theses a variable exchange rate or is the value pegged to that of the pound sterling? (and would the IOM ever go over to the euro? methinks not, but stranger things have happened)

WTM

Quickbeam 13:02 09 Sep 07

is the fact that so many English retailers won't accept an English £50 note. Scotland doesn't have a problem accepting their own £50 & £100 notes.

I keep a note checker with me, and will accept all high value notes that pass the test, even Euro notes with a favourable exchange rate.

€dstowe 13:15 09 Sep 07

I live on the South Coast and most of the retailers accept Euros in payment for goods. I appreciate that the Euro is not Manx currency but it isn't legal tender either.

Lots of places in London accept US and Canadian dollars, some places Japanese Yen and other currencies. These most certainly aren't legal tender and whether you can spend them depends entirely on the how keen the shopkeeper is for your custom and the willingness of his bank to accept foreign currency.

Earthsea 16:24 09 Sep 07

Totnes even wants to introduce its own currency click here

Anyone can accept anything as payment when you think about it. Contract law protects against any breaches of the agreement.

Stuartli 18:48 09 Sep 07

I live in a North West seaside resort and Scottish banknotes are readily accepted as we get so many visitors from Scotland.

However, some establishments are very wary of the English £50 note...:-)

WhiteTruckMan 19:02 09 Sep 07

is that they seemed such a lucrative target for forgers (but addmitedly there is also the problem of a small shopkeeper stuggling to make change for a 50).

Personally, were I to be in the forging buisness I would do fivers, as no one gives them a second glance, and indeed there is a shortage of them in circulation anyhow.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009