Man convicted for modifying his computer

stlucia 12:27 05 Jul 05

Actually, the true title of the article click here is "Man convicted for chipping his Xbox", but isn't it the same thing?

I'm dead against any kind of piracy, but who is to judge when the mod is a legitimate one to allow us to play backup copies of disks or to store more data, or one who's primary objective is to breach copyright? Shouldn't it be the user who is prosecuted IF and WHEN he actually breaches a copyright?

And, while I'm on the subject, why is playing a Zone 1 disk in a Zone 2 country a breach of copyright? What about the Chinese (or whatever -- it surely isn't English) shirt I'm wearing in England?

Aspman 13:55 05 Jul 05

I think it was the Xboxes with 200Gb drives filled with Warez that he was flogging on his website that caused him a bit of bother.

Pooke 15:28 05 Jul 05

Besides the fact this guy was obviously guilty of copyright infringement etc and he got his just desserts.

"The conviction is the first of its kind in the UK, where the modification of video games consoles has been an illegal practice since October 2003, when the UK enacted the EU Copyright Directive."..............."The chips allow people to play games purchased legitimately in other countries"

Surely you should be free to what you want with your own hardware? What is wrong with buying games abroad when on holiday and then playing them on your modded console?

So is it illegal to make your dvd rom drive region free? Cos that's effectively what's illegal with consoles.

They should be tackling the real criminals that sell copied games and downloaders alike.

Pooke

The Spires 15:51 05 Jul 05

I think stuffing the larger hard drive with pirated games & then marketing the devices might have tipped the scales in the prosecutions favour.

stlucia 16:11 05 Jul 05

Yes, the pirated software he was also installing is an obvious issue.

But the main thing he was done for was the physical mods he made to the system. Like Pooke suggests, aren't our PCs also "video games consoles" if they can play games? It can't be right :-(

Forum Editor 19:24 05 Jul 05

to circumvent copy protection systems. This man did just that, and has been convicted. That's about it, really. Hardly something to stop the world in its orbit.

Buchan 35 20:14 05 Jul 05

The guy was caught because he got greedy. I`ve always felt that if I modify my equipment for myself that there`s no law in the land to stop me, but our friend overstepped the mark. By the way stlucia don`t mention your shirt again or Belguim will have it off your back!!

stlucia 08:34 06 Jul 05

"It is a criminal offence to circumvent copy protection systems."

That's my beef. Surely the real criminal is the person who copies something illegally, not the person who makes the computer or the blank disks which allow him to do it.

Next it'll be kitchen knives (I'm not kidding) because they've been used to murder people; or hammers, or axes. Just extend the principle as far as you can, and making and selling almost anything will be illegal because of how it can be mis-used!

MESH Support 13:15 06 Jul 05

I think the pertinent point here is that kitchen knives have a specific purpose, and that using them as a weapon is just something that they can also be used for.

Modding an Xbox is for one purpose and one purpose only........

dth 11:40 07 Jul 05

What about altering an xbox to run linux - is that an offence too?

squillary 18:21 09 Jul 05

Obviously stuffing the drive with copied games is a no-no, but the idea of preventing a machine from playing /legitimately/ bought product on a /legitimate/ machine is the issue I'd like to protest about. I understand the bit about overcoming the copy-protection system, but isn't this only in place to enforce the /licensing/ of product only within certain countries, in order to maintain higher prices in one country compared to another. Chipping isn't piracy in the way that cracked games are pirated.

In fact, I'd suggest that the limitation of sale in certain regions in order to prevent people buying a legitimate product in the "wrong" country is something that should be made illegal. This is what fuels "rip-off Britain" articles - quite rightly too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…