Makes you think

pj123 17:01 11 Mar 06

Doing a clear out of old files and bits on my PC.

Came across this, which I thought you might like to share.

I also remember when at school I got the blackboard rubber, well aimed by the teacher, round the back of head.

"FOR THOSE BORN BEFORE 1986

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived, because our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent
'spokey dokey's' on our wheels. As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the same.
We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one actually died from this. We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 (or even more) channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.

We had friends - we went outside and found them. We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt! We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones but there were no lawsuits. We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents.

We played knock-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners catching us.

We walked to friends' homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school; we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round the corner. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls. We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...they actually sided with the law. This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion
of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And you're one of them. Congratulations!

Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good."

Something for our now "Compensation Culture Society" to think about.

bosmere 17:10 11 Mar 06

Thanks pj123, that's made my day :-))

Souter Point 17:22 11 Mar 06

Those were the days. Bows and arrows, catapults, going gleaning for spuds with your mates and struggling home with about a hundredweight a time.

Yes, I remember it well and I'm only 61. Pity about no computers though we did have a 12" tele at some point ;-)

wiz-king 17:24 11 Mar 06

Surely you mean a chalk board, you cannot have black mentioned in case it upsets the white ethnic minority. --- I jest.
I had one teacher who could land the rubber chalk side down onto the desk of anyone who was not paying attention with almost pin point accuracy -- he also played cricket for the county.

smy13 17:27 11 Mar 06

pj123 well articulated, reading your post I could almost feel my mum's slipper on the back of my legs after being caught scrumping in the allotments at the back of hour house!!!. no central Heating or double glazing and frost on the inside of the windows this time of year, magic!!!. the other weekend we had a Record party, got out the turn table, opened a few tins and everyone bought thier old records. The reaction of our kids to these big black things that played music one side at a time!!! was priceless

Blackhat 18:05 11 Mar 06

Thaks for reminding me of the real world. I was a 70's school kid, I still remember the sting of the heads cain on the back of my legs. We feared the cain and the pump and understood discipline.

g0slp 18:46 11 Mar 06

"And if you tell the kids of today, they'll never believe you..."

Nice one, pj123. I remember it well.

Mind you, I also remember a group of us, aged 5-7, who were happily playing in fields about a mile from home, being approached by a policeman on what appeared to be a VERY big horse & told to get home quickly as our parents wanted to see us - this in Lancashire when the news of the Moors Murders broke. (As I found out years later, recounting the story when recalling my childhood with my parents).

Mark.

(Who's vintage 1960, & feeling every year after reading this...)

ray7 19:03 11 Mar 06

great thread pj123. I agree with every memory you hav recalled. One slight difference. I am trying to trace a sadisdic teacher from 1944 in order to sue him for the red marks of the cat o nine tails which I can still feel! 'SUE'.... never knew the meaning of the word in those days.
One word of advice PJ, Be careful what you write. You may be sued by the do-gooders for hurting their feelings.

pj123 19:18 11 Mar 06

I remember we were really frightened by the local "bobby". Although we weren't arrested we were given a severe telling off and clip round the ear. No one sued anyone. In fact if you dared to tell your parents that a policeman had hit you all they said was "Bloody good job"

Bapou 20:04 11 Mar 06

I'm vintage, long before 1966 and reading this am wondering just how we survived all the rough and tumble.

The blackboard rubber, no problem, it was the size 9 aimed perfectly as you walked away which stung a bit.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:29 11 Mar 06

"(Who's vintage 1960, & feeling every year after reading this...)"

Not quite, 1964 was my year of birth. My old Chemistry teacher, Doc Taylor, never had a disruptive class, the kids were too scared to play him up. As for being out all the time and active. Well we were so active we used to shovel food down like there was no tomorrow, I certainly did, but fat kids were a rarity. And I'm sure all that dirt was good for the immune system as we were exposed to every germ going, but never got ill.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…