Make Sure They're Really Dead

laurie53 08:15 12 Dec 08

Tesco's cynical attempt to get the last few customers that Woolworths have got.

click here

Quickbeam 09:00 12 Dec 08

The best bargains have already bean bagged by other large retailers.

In our town there is a giant Asda white goods distribution depot. I have it on good authority they they have just filled several isles with the likes of Wii and many other highly desirable items from Woolworth's for two reasons,
1. They were a bargain, even for Asda with their buying power for discount.
2. It stops the market having to match the sell off price at Wollie's to sell anything, they'll just sit on them and keep the price up.

That's cynical...

spuds 12:09 12 Dec 08

Apparently the administrators of Woollies are trying to obtain the 'best prices possible'. They appear to have rejected some unsuitable offers!.

Question being, what happens about warranties in the new year and beyond?.

Cymro. 12:52 12 Dec 08

Can you imagine what it must be like to work at Woolworth these days?
The shop is busier than it has ever been and the customers are more bad tempered as they are not having the give away bargains that they were lead to believe, and then to top it all off you are only there in case you loose out on the redundancy pay.

I am rather surprised that some of the younger members of the staff who probably don`t even qualify for very much redundancy pay put up with it and don`t just walk out. Still I suppose that Christmas being so close makes them need to hang on to what will be a very butter end for them.

spuds 13:09 12 Dec 08

I know when our local last remaining Woolworths closed down last year, with very short notice, it didn't seem to make much difference with the younger staff and their attitudes.They all seemed to be having their farewell party and jollies, and customer service was second nature ;o)

I think the well used second floor restaurant suffered the most, due to the older staff and regular clientèle who fully supported that section of the business.

spuds 15:59 12 Dec 08

Oh give it a rest. If the mainstream of Tesco stores are like our local one, then promotional offers seem to be a question of ones own choice or logistic supply. 20% of dress wear,but would you really go overboard about making a saving on those items. Special offer (advertised) on Christmas card boxed sets (empty shelf), special offer on Indian 'take-a-way' meals (advertised), day supply was very limited, so empty shelf).

Now if you look at basics, bread (the type we use) up by 15 pence a loaf since last week, milk nearly the same. Same for some vegetables, price increase or short supply. Deli cooked chickens wrapped in baco foil, because they have run out of the normal containers. Other hot products in short supply, but what they have, the price as increased.The list seems to go on and on.

Bah- humbug (rant over)

Pineman100 00:08 13 Dec 08

Why the use of the word "cynical"?

Our entire economy is based on competition. If one company decides to try and win extra business by cutting some prices, why should that be "cynical"?

If it was an independent grocer just down the street from Woolworths, I don't think anyone would even have noticed. But because it's the country's (and one of the world's) most successful grocers, such free competition becomes, for some reason, sinful.

If you want an example of what happens when you remove competition, and the profit motive, cast you mind back to the failed economy of the USSR. It was the command economy, more than anything else, that brought that system to its knees.

Devil Fish 01:06 13 Dec 08

somewhat blinkered me

look around its not just tesco heavily discounting go to any major supermarket and they have heavy discounts on selected lines In my opinion probably more of a stategy to compete /steal a bit of thunder from asda morrisons and sainsbury than a direct action because woolies is closing

and any way a company trying to take custom from another is hardly cynical it is called competition

laurie53 10:22 13 Dec 08

I just think it would have been more humane to let them gently die in peace.

Such profit that Tesco made from those who might have gone to Woolworth's in their last few days would not even show on a Tesco Metro's balance sheet.

I am obviously too soft to exist in today's business world.

The Brigadier 12:39 13 Dec 08

Money is tight this year with people worried about the credit crunch, so prices coming down are so the shops can sell & make a smaller profit.

As for Woolworths they are sadly dead, my local store thought they would be closed by Sunday at the latest. They are getting no new stock & are selling everything in-store at knock down prices.

The real sale will be when the shops are sold off, most are in prime locations & their will be a fight to get these from the likes of Aldi, Lidl & others who will be hoping for a cut down bargain.

tullie 13:20 13 Dec 08

Theres nothing humane about watching a business die,thats business.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…