mail

kidsis 15:47 08 Sep 09

an auntie of mine died nearly 2 years ago, and I was surprised to receive, from her previous address, a large envelope with some letters posted to her in recent months from home shopping companies (advertising material etc). When she died I filled in a form for her post to be redirected for 6 months. Do I really have to spend money and time phoning these companies to ask them to take her name off of their system, or would it be ok to fill in another form at the post office to redirect anything with her name on? (There wasn't enough post paid on the envelope so I had to go to the sorting office, and pay the extra!!)

Clapton is God 15:58 08 Sep 09

If I was you, I write on the envelopes "Addressee deceased. Return to Sender" and drop all the envelopes in the nearest post box

oresome 16:01 08 Sep 09

You may wish to stop unwanted commercial 'mailshots' or telephone calls for the person who has died. If so, contact the Direct Marketing Association Helpline on 0845 703 4599.

interzone55 16:29 08 Sep 09

The simplest way would be to tell the new owner of the house to chuck the mail in the recycling.

I moved out of my parents house in 1995 and every now & again my dad rings up saying a I've got a letter, and it turns out to be spam.
I keep telling him to just chuck it away, but it's probably just an excuse for him to phone me up...

BT 17:18 08 Sep 09

It'll stop eventually. When we bought our current place 4 years ago we got loads of Spam/Advertising/catalogues for the previous owners. We didn't bother to send it on as it was obvious what it was, and slowly it dried up to the extent that its a very rare occurence now. The most persistent ones seem to be the garden/seed merchants.
Do as alan14 says and ask the new owner to dispose of it unless they think its important.

oresome 19:35 08 Sep 09

"It'll stop eventually."

We still receive a Christmas card addressed to the previous owners of our house from a firm of solicitors.....................We've been in the house 25 years!

BT 07:52 09 Sep 09

We all know that lots of Solicitors offices still resemble something from Dickens. There's probably some poor clerk with a dusty leatherbound ledger who has to write out all those cards with a quill pen and has no way of knowing how old all those past clients addresses are. [:-(

lotvic 12:34 09 Sep 09

I've just posted back to Sender (insurance co.) a notification of Pension Fund maturing it was for a previous owner from 1984.
As it looked important I opened it (I had previously returned to sender 2 other similar letters without opening them)
I then wrote a letter explaining that the people had moved in 1987 according to the house deeds, and sent my letter and theirs back in the pre-paid envelope.

ronalddonald 14:21 09 Sep 09

exactly Clapton is God says

kidsis 14:45 09 Sep 09

wow, I'm not the only one in this situation then! I think I will do as Clapton suggested, it's just that every so often we receive an envelope from the NHS for someone else, but at this address. I opened the first one to discover it was a hospital appt for him, resealed and wrote on the envelope Not known at this address return to sender. Still they kept coming, still I kept writing Return to sender. I then read it was illegal to open letters meant for someone else! We have also received letters from solicitors with someone else's name on, same thing.
I will also try oresome's suggestion, the DMA.

Cymro. 15:59 09 Sep 09

I thought that most circulars and such like were sent out via an automated computer system so it is very difficult to put a stop to them. I have tried most of the above suggestions plus a few more but still they keep coming.

It seems to me that once your name is on their system it is almost impossible to get anyone to bother to take it off. Someone suggested doctoring the bar-code in such a way as to gum-up their system. If I only knew how to do so I might give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac