Magnetic strips

Peter J 10:16 15 Nov 05

Hi,
On the back of credit/debit/loyalty cards etc. is a black magnetic strip. In supermarkets I am often given my credit card and loyalty card back at the same time and the strips are touching each other. Often people keep their cards together back to back.
Does this cause any degradation to the information held on the strip, as I assumed that if it were magnetic there would be some inter-action between two magnetic objects.

Thanks

PS Does anyone know what information is stored on the black strip now that cards have chip and pin technology?

SANTOS7 10:24 15 Nov 05

click here
this may help...

spuds 10:49 15 Nov 05

When credit cards first came out, it was always suggested that you were extra carefull regarding the magnetic strips.Keep your cards separate, don't let the strips touch each other etc.Those times seem to have long gone, with further technology. I recall a number of years ago, the checkout lady was having difficulty in clearing my debit card. Rubbing the magnetic strip made no difference. In the end, she put the card in an ordinary plastic/poly type bag, and ran the scanner over the bag with the card magnetic strip facing upwards. The card then registered. Apparently the checkout lady had used this method previously with success. We both hadn't a clue why this should have worked but it did. Perhaps something to do with the electric static from the plastic/poly content of the bag.

jbp1982 10:55 15 Nov 05

Having worked in supermarkets and other retail places that is a common thing. It works like magic, lol, actually I ain't got a clue how it works.

I have six slots in my wallet for cards and there are 11 cards that I carry with me! Wouldn't worry about the strip, they always can enter the data manually.

My CC is about to be switched to chip and pin aswell, good thing too as there is a slight split in the card under the magnetic strip and it still works (just never got round to asking for a replacement, but they're doing this anyway)!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…