Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald

Autoschediastic 12:28 21 Aug 11

Good after noon everyone,

Ive just listened to this number by Louie and Ella & i couldn't of found a better tune to play on a Sunday afternoon relaxing in the garden!

Song Here

Autoschediastic 12:29 21 Aug 11

Not sure why the link didnt work.? Here it is again:

Song Here

Quickbeam 12:54 21 Aug 11

Nice arrangement that.

My favourite of that between the wars period is Bessie Smith. When she sings the blues you have to wonder how Clapton, as good as he is, thinks he can do emotional justice to early black blues.

Empress Bessie

Autoschediastic 13:30 21 Aug 11

Quickbeam ive never heard of bessie smith? but i liked the link u provided think i should look at getting her album! cheers..

morddwyd 18:38 21 Aug 11

Bessie?

Now you're really talking.

The Queen.

Hairs on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about her!

Quickbeam 01:05 22 Aug 11

Autoschediastic, don't expect too much from the recorded quality of those pre-depression blues singers, even digitally cleaned they sound like they're singing from a biscuit tin! But they're full of emotion, Check out Robert Johnson as well.

Billie Holiday covered a lot of Bessie Smiths early stuff in the '30s, and it wasn't all original to Bessie, she just happened to be around at the right time when they first started to record the first blues recordings for mass distribution. And for even better sound quality, go forward to Diana Ross who played Billie Holiday in 'Lady Sings the Blues' in '72. She's covered most of both of them with high quality recordings, but with not quite the genuine poor black persons emotion, she's just too well off, just like Clapton to be singing the blues!

daz60 06:24 22 Aug 11

Had /have some cassette's of the wonderful Bessie somewhere along with the marvellous Elmore James,two of the centuries almost forgotten musical geniuses.

The 'white man blues' does not have the raw emotion and depth that these originals have.

Quickbeam 07:34 22 Aug 11

I'm pretty certain that this version of 'pigfoot and a bottle beer' also has Louis Armstrong on the trumpet, it certainly sounds like his style.

On the same page is a version by Nina Simone, it's good, but nowhere near as good as Bessie's gravel voiced rendition.

Bessie & Satchmo?

Quickbeam 07:48 22 Aug 11

I can see that I'm going to be stuck on the Youtube nostalgia channel now all day on my day off, last week it was the Ealing studios 80th anniversary!

Quickbeam 07:59 22 Aug 11

Just found this motion picture scene of her on your site, wouldn't you loved to have gone to one of those early New York clubs, but I doubt many of us would have been allowed in... racism worked both ways!

Seedy New York club

Quickbeam 07:51 23 Aug 11

The BBC today reports the death of Jerry Leiber, the writer of 'Hound Dog' which reminded me of this singer that we had in the house once on a 78 disc and the later Elvis version on a 45.

Belting voice and lives up to her 'Big Mamma' name Big Mamma Thornton

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5