The Lottery?

crosstrainer 10:34 07 Aug 07

So we have Camalot running it again, do many of you play? And how do you feel about where the funds go?

12 percent to the Government, wonder where that might end up?

MichelleC 10:55 07 Aug 07

Two people in our house get one ticket per week.

To get funding from the lottery is indeed a lottery in itself. A mental health day centre in Feltham where I once wroked applied and was turned down. They wanted disabled facilities and an extra room.

We finally had to employ someone to fill in the very complicated application form at the cost of about £600, from a bank of people who do this for a living.

It was a good investment because we got the much needed £300,000. The whole process took about 3 years.

But judging from the types of funding given to certain projects, and from the much needed funding not given to more deserving projects (yes, who am I to judge) then I would be happier if the people whose job it is to give lottery funds underwent some sort of proper humanity training.

crosstrainer 12:09 07 Aug 07

Woud it not be better if we chose the worthy causes ourselves?

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:17 07 Aug 07

If I or anyone won the Lotto it would not make any difference who ran it and as far as I'm concerned it could be Lord Beelzebub himself.

'Woud it not be better if we chose the worthy causes ourselves?'..no way, the arguments would be never ending with too many differing views. Better to have a small committee and present the decisions as faites accomplis.

G

Bingalau 12:20 07 Aug 07

I would buy lottery tickets if the funds went straight into the NHS. As it is now given to all sorts of what I consider to be unworthy causes. I will not give my money to it. I think if the NHS were able to run their own lottery it would be a big success.

crosstrainer 12:27 07 Aug 07

I agree, seems to me that funds ought to go to places where the fund's are required

Gandalf ( Hope you win) But would it be a yacht in the med or donations?

bremner 12:29 07 Aug 07

I don't think we should give lottery money to the massively funded but awfully administered (and I don't mean the medical staff) NHS.

An example of the point Gandalf makes. If we were to chose to whom the money went we would simply waste our time arguing.

Bingalau 13:03 07 Aug 07

Maybe if they had more cash they could attract better (and therefore need less) administrators. Does that make sense?

Kate B 13:08 07 Aug 07

Good administrators are expensive. Any charity, whether it's the lottery, the National Trust or Save the Children, has admin costs.

Totally-braindead 13:30 07 Aug 07

I remember when Richard Branson put in a bid to get it, he wanted to run it for the advertising alone, but he failed in his bid. Often wonder why as more of the money would have then gone to worthy causes instead of into private individuals pockets.

pj123 15:53 07 Aug 07

Here in Norfolk we have a Lottery to keep our Air Ambulance in the air.

You don't win millions, the prizes range from £50 to £1000 but at least your donation of £1 keeps the Helicopter in the air.

It costs around £175,000 a month so if you are in East Anglia click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…