Lost passport turns up after nearly 6 years?

dagnammit 23:59 28 May 09

Got a surprise today when a Police Station about 20 miles away from where I live called up to say they've found my passport. They contacted my Dad via the emergency contacts section.

It is of course one that I lost over 5 years ago and have since got a replacement.

I moved from my own flat, to my sister's and then onto my girlfriend's (who is now my wife) and it seemed to go astray somewhere in the middle of that....

I asked them to either destroy it or forward it to the Passport Office where'll they destroy it but they said I've to collect.

:( it's two bus trips.

dagnammit 00:01 29 May 09

My question is.... does this seem really strange?

They won't tell me how they found it just the area where it was found.

lotvic 00:09 29 May 09

It does make you feel uneasy. Perhaps you will get more info when you collect it.

Grey Goo 14:05 29 May 09

Probably been in a drawer in the Nick since the day after you lost it, until now.

anchor 14:21 30 May 09

Grey Goo; you may be right.

This reminds me of the case of a colleagues car. About 30 years ago it was stolen from outside his house. He reported it to the police & his insurance.

The insurance company said he would have to wait 6 weeks, then if not found, they would pay up. After 5 weeks, the police contacted him, rather embarrassed to say that it had been loacted in the car park of a recently closed police station, where they believe it had been all the time.

DieSse 14:32 30 May 09

Under absolutely no circumstances try and use it. You will be stopped when trying to enter the UK.

The passport office wrongly marked my current passport as lost/stolen (rather than an older one, which was replaced). It caused an huge problem when travelling through the UK on the way to the USA - it was confiscated. Luckily I had three days, and they did help me get a replacement. Later received an abject apology and a fee refund.

dagnammit 17:33 30 May 09

Forgot about this thread...

The police told me it was found in a property in a near by street (to their station) and that's all they would tell me. The passport did not look tampered with and still had my photo in it.

A retired Police Officer friend of mine has said that had it been used fraudulently I would have found out by now. He reckons that someone has had it but never made use of it. Either way I collected it and dropped into to the passport office on the way home.

I already have a new passport that was obtained after I reported that one lost.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5