lost / delayed post

daisy2bell 11:11 18 Sep 06

I sent a small parcel of sheet music to a UK address last Tuesday ( one week ago tomorrow)
It was sent 1st class and I have reciept of posting.
I have been informed that it has not arrived at its destination.
The post office will not do anything until it has been missing for 15 days.
The person I sent the goods to is asking me to send the item again. This means I will be out of pocket.
I mean, I have done my bit, and have proof of posting.
I will obviously contact Royal mail after 15 days. But where do I stand in the mean time.

Jackcoms 11:15 18 Sep 06

"where do I stand in the mean time."

You can stand wherever you wish. ;-)

But you've already answered your own question:

"The post office will not do anything until it has been missing for 15 days."

Kate B 11:19 18 Sep 06

Unless you pay for special delivery, the post office doesn't guarantee to deliver it the next day. I always shell out for special delivery for time-critical packages having learned the hard way not to rely on first class. Bad luck, hope it turns up soon.

Cymro. 11:25 18 Sep 06

Jackcoms is right a waste of time till the 15 days are up. But then is your chance to start complaining, something that we don`t do anything like enough of in this country, especially with organisations like the Royal Mail. Make a nuisance of your self with them, pester them as hard and for as long as you have the time and patience for. Mind you I dare say that your patience will run out before you get very much of anywhere with them. I am sure there must be some experts at such things on this site that can tell you the best and most satisfying way to go about it.

silverous 11:34 18 Sep 06

How do you get proof of postage with 1st class?

I know it doesn't help this time but if you are sending something that would leave you out of pocket I'd always use a service with some kind of insurance... I recently discovered Royal Mail "Standard Parcel" service which is very reasonably priced and provides insurance, it can take 3-5 days though.

What agreement did you have with the recipient?

Cymro. 11:55 18 Sep 06

You can have a certificate of posting on first class but it only provides proof of posting so I assume would be of no help to daisy2bell.

daisy2bell 13:40 18 Sep 06

Thanks guys,

To my surprise, when I oppened my letterbox this morning, the parcel I had sent was there.
It had a red Royal Mail seal which said
"Address inaccessable"

I logged onto PayPal to check the address, and I had written it correctly.
I have now contacted the purchaser to see why they could'nt deliver it.

ade.h 15:47 18 Sep 06

"Address inaccessible" could mean almost anything. The gate was a bit stuck, there was a sign that said "beware of the shitzu", it was up a hill....

silverous 16:14 18 Sep 06

beware of the shitzu....lol.

Fellsider 17:18 18 Sep 06

"You can have a certificate of posting on first class but it only provides proof of posting so I assume would be of no help to daisy2bell."

Not true.

see click here. Compensation up to £32 on first class mail.

A,,W,,B,, 18:20 18 Sep 06

ad.h is right no access could be a lot of things but it's usually those doors with time locks on them.( As in blocks of flats etc )
The reason for the red sticker is that post persons must endorse all mail they are taking back to the depot giving the reason why they are taking it back and not delivering it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…