Lost Data ...25 years of research Safe BackUp ?

peter99co 14:36 22 Feb 08

This should be a lesson to us all in where to keep a good copy of our cherished data!

click here

The Laptops are replacable at some cost but the data must be irreplacable. How sad

Forum Editor 18:19 22 Feb 08

that almost 25 years of my academic life is contained on those three laptops"

Dear me. It reminds me of the old IT joke:

Question: When is the best time to back up your data?

Answer: Just before your computer crashes.

It seems odd to me that a university professor stores 25 years of work on computers, and makes no off-machine backups whatsoever in all that time. She's paid the price, and I feel very sorry for her, but it was all so easily avoidable - at least the data loss was.

VoG II 18:55 22 Feb 08

It seems incredibly stupid to me, whatever sympathy one may have over her data loss.

I had my works laptop stolen about 6 months ago. Fortunately I used to synchronise all my important stuff with the company's remote server, normally daily. The server is backed up every night as well.

So for me it was just an inconvenience - getting a new laptop and downloading all my backed-up folders to it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:01 22 Feb 08

It appears she had two back ups

She copied from one machine to the others.

If travelling then maybe you lose one machine but as this was a break in she lost all three.

Maybe this is a lesson to us all, if you back up to an external drive, it is likely that also will be solen in a break in.

lisa02 19:11 22 Feb 08

Silly really.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:37 22 Feb 08

No sympathy here.

G

Colin 19:51 22 Feb 08

No sympathy here, either. Making more than one backup is commendable, but don't keep them all in the same place! When I backup, which isn't as often as I should, I make two copies. One is kept at home, the other at work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…